PDA

View Full Version : crickets for pyxie frog

Tara Garratt
02-21-03, 11:04 PM
My husband's pyxie frog arrived yesterday. It is about 3 1/2 inches from snout to vent. How many crickets should iit eat, and how often? The crickets are about 3/4 of an inch long. It seems to be extremely hungry. Thanks for your help.

Tara Garratt

Scotty Allen
02-22-03, 10:28 AM
As long as your frog is growing, you have no worries of over feeding it. You'll soon go broke feeding crickets, Pyxie are voracious feeders and have to eat to grow to survive in the wild. They will readily take anything that moves including other frogs, large insects, small rodents, etc. etc. Variety is the important part here, and make sure that your feed insects are well fed themselves so they have good nutritional value. An occasional dusting with powdered calcium is a good idea (the food).

Once your frog is nearing adult size, slow down the feeding to twice or even once a week. The biggest cause of mortality in captive frogs is overfeeding.

Tara Garratt
02-22-03, 01:15 PM
Thanks Scotty,
I appreciate your answer. Its good to know we are not likely to over feed it right now. All it wants to do is eat. Even after eating it tries to catch the cat's tail through the terrarium when the cat is up sitting beside it. Its a good thing I raise my own crickets.

Tara Garratt