PDA

View Full Version : Kalatoa Retics?

DDW
11-12-15, 07:48 AM
I was keeping retics off of my wish list because of their size, but I have only recently found out about Kalatoa retics and would love to learn more about them like care and such. I would love to hear from Kalatoa keepers and see some pics, mostly of adult size(I heard they Max out around 7.5 feet long) and maybe of different morphs. The only reason I limit myself to small snakes is safety and I can't garentee I'll have help in the futureXD I do not plan on getting any more snakes. The cat is just getting curious Lol

Sylphie
11-12-15, 08:22 AM
I was thinking about Kalatoas too, but in my country they are really crazy and agressive. Something like blood pythons, but with more strength and faster. Maybe thats because there are only few lines and they are all soo inbreed that they are a little mad.

SnoopySnake
11-12-15, 12:26 PM
I only have experience with my Kalatoa, he's a yearling and VERY fast, flighty and defensive. Up until 2-3 months ago I couldn't get him out without non-stop biting, gaping at my face, musking ect. Now I can get him out but he still bites once or twice while first coming out, and still tries to get away and gapes every now and then, and musks every so often also. From what I hear, that behavior is pretty typical but they can usually be tamed. Care is pretty much the same as mainlands, but the SDs do appreciate some room to climb. I would wait and do a lot of research if I were you. Oh, they also have a VERY strong food response. I've heard some say worse than mainlands, but I have no experience to back that up.

millertime89
11-12-15, 08:26 PM
I've got a pair. A 4 year old male and a 2 year old female. If you get good captive bred animals they usually have a great attitude. Mine are both very inquisitive and not defensive at all. They were a bit defensive as babies, but once they reached about a year of age they calmed right down. They're an absolute joy to work with. They're quite active though, always cruising around in their cages. Never been musked either. They do love to eat, about on par with my mainland's in that regards. Jamps are the ones with the insane feed response. Jason Reed, Bob Clark, or Travis Kubes is who I would buy them from. Mine are all from Travis, but I don't know if he's breeding them this year.

DDW
11-12-15, 09:11 PM
I have quite an extensive varied list of snake I want in the future and these are being added to the end I think. It'll be years before I'll get one, especially since my other wish list snakes are cheaper in general(other than the normal brb and undetermined morph gtp XD) assuming price would be high due to the uncommon species. BTW,how much a normal be in general just wondering. Price would be a factor of where on my wish lit it would be.

I will not purchase a snake that is not captive bred. I simply refuse, too many negative factors to deal with. Id rather pay more or wait longer than end up with an irritable can't take wild out of the snake situation..also, not healthyj for the snake or other collection members.

Thanks y'all ^.=.^

bigsnakegirl785
11-12-15, 10:43 PM
I have quite an extensive varied list of snake I want in the future and these are being added to the end I think. It'll be years before I'll get one, especially since my other wish list snakes are cheaper in general(other than the normal brb and undetermined morph gtp XD) assuming price would be high due to the uncommon species. BTW,how much a normal be in general just wondering. Price would be a factor of where on my wish lit it would be.

I will not purchase a snake that is not captive bred. I simply refuse, too many negative factors to deal with. Id rather pay more or wait longer than end up with an irritable can't take wild out of the snake situation..also, not healthyj for the snake or other collection members.

Thanks y'all ^.=.^

There's no GTP morphs (from what I can tell all the "morphs" are linebred traits or phases), and normal BRBs are incredibly cheap unless you're buying from a BRB-specific breeder, and/or you buy babies from high red/high orange line parents. Regular non-linebred BRBs are under $100.

As far as Kalatoas I'm not sure. :/ You'll probably pay at least a few hundred dollars for a normal, when I was looking at them a few years ago they were around $1,000 for a pure/mostly pure SD if I remember correctly.

millertime89
11-13-15, 01:02 AM
SDs (which Kalatoas are) have come down quite a bit in price. Pure SDs right now are in the low $300 range, give or take. Het anery or visible anery which are the only pure SD morphs out there can be quite a bit more. I'll hopefully have 87.5% SD PH aneries next year and I'll price them around $250 for normals and $350 for tigers.

DDW
11-13-15, 07:30 AM
There's no GTP morphs (from what I can tell all the "morphs" are linebred traits or phases), and normal BRBs are incredibly cheap unless you're buying from a BRB-specific breeder, and/or you buy babies from high red/high orange line parents. Regular non-linebred BRBs are under $100.

As far as Kalatoas I'm not sure. :/ You'll probably pay at least a few hundred dollars for a normal, when I was looking at them a few years ago they were around $1,000 for a pure/mostly pure SD if I remember correctly.

Oh, I didn't know that, it the ones I like are the yellow ones and the red ones(which I've seen on the thousands) and the brbs are still the more expensive end of my wish list (my list:mbk,reverse okatee corn, albino Cali -king, hondo milk, brb, kalatoa retic, gtp(yellow preferably) in the general order I'd like to get them... only one each, no breeding. I also wish to get a bright red stripe garg gecko, but that is separate from the list since it's not a snake. Lol

I like the brbs with distinct thick black borders with on the most part, solid pattern. I have only looked a little at the different morphs and other than normals and high reds, I don't care for them much and prefer a nice normal. I have found a nice place I think I'm gonna buy from is living gems. I've been spying on what they produce and they are absolutely beautiful animals.

Anyway, back to the topic lol

I would want a pure since the size is the reason I'm looking at them and I don't want to end up with anything larger than 8 foot.

DDW
11-13-15, 07:33 AM
SDs (which Kalatoas are) have come down quite a bit in price. Pure SDs right now are in the low $300 range, give or take. Het anery or visible anery which are the only pure SD morphs out there can be quite a bit more. I'll hopefully have 87.5% SD PH aneries next year and I'll price them around $250 for normals and $350 for tigers.

I was searching different morphs and I like anery morph but any idea about albino prices? I've noticed that albinos are often extremely price jumped from normals. (I love an animal with red eyesXD)

prairiepanda
11-13-15, 11:37 AM
Oh, I didn't know that, it the ones I like are the yellow ones and the red ones(which I've seen on the thousands)

I thought the yellow and red ones only looked like that as babies? I think there's certain localities and albinos that are yellow as adults but I've never seen red on an adult. I don't know much about GTPs though, so maybe that's just something mega rare I haven't encountered :p

bigsnakegirl785
11-13-15, 11:37 AM
Oh, I didn't know that, it the ones I like are the yellow ones and the red ones(which I've seen on the thousands) and the brbs are still the more expensive end of my wish list (my list:mbk,reverse okatee corn, albino Cali -king, hondo milk, brb, kalatoa retic, gtp(yellow preferably) in the general order I'd like to get them... only one each, no breeding. I also wish to get a bright red stripe garg gecko, but that is separate from the list since it's not a snake. Lol

I like the brbs with distinct thick black borders with on the most part, solid pattern. I have only looked a little at the different morphs and other than normals and high reds, I don't care for them much and prefer a nice normal. I have found a nice place I think I'm gonna buy from is living gems. I've been spying on what they produce and they are absolutely beautiful animals.

Anyway, back to the topic lol

I would want a pure since the size is the reason I'm looking at them and I don't want to end up with anything larger than 8 foot.

Unfortunately, GTP genetics are incredibly tricky since it can take them 1-2 years to change color. As well as the genetics that are more likely to give you the end you want, and there's generally no markers to make an educated guess on how that baby will turn out unlike high red/orange BRBs (which can still surprise you). Lots of stuff to consider.

With high red BRBs, you just put the two reddest normal BRBs you have together and take the reddest from that litter with another red animal, etc etc until you reach your end goal of a nice high red BRB. So high red/oranges are really just nice normals.

As far as the Kalatoas are concerned I think a high content SD should still stay small, like a 75%+ should still stay 8' or under I believe. Maybe even one with less SD blood. Looking at the parents' sizes should also help.

Also enough derailing from me here. haha

That's really cool to hear! I'm thinking if I get more retics in my future I may have to stick to SDs, so being affordable is a big plus. haha