PDA

View Full Version : quick question

fubar
02-21-03, 08:27 AM
When a venomous snake strikes its prey, does it inject venom into it? I always assumed it did, but never really looked into it.
Just thought of this as I was reading the post about biting themselves and their ammunity.

Scotty Allen
02-21-03, 08:49 AM
Not necessarily. Many defensive strikes are made without injection of venom. Hence the large numbers of "dry" bites inflicted. Depending on which study(s) you read, this incidence of "dry" bites may be as high as 70%. Venom production is costly metabolically for the snake, it is not to be wasted.

fubar
02-21-03, 09:50 AM
Thanx Scott,

So by that im assuming they do not use their venom to "take-down" a rodent or animal they plan on consuming.?.

reverendsterlin
02-21-03, 10:15 AM
Scott, I was under the impression that almost all food prey strikes contained venom (it's natural use), and that defensive bites could often be dry but when the animal was surprised would again most likely not be dry. Who's study are you using for your info? Thanks bro.

Scotty Allen
02-21-03, 10:19 AM
Yes, they do use their venom to "take-down" a food animal. The idea of the venom is to immobilize the prey animal. "Dry" bites appear to be administered in a defensive strike when there is no intent to kill the prey.

HOWEVER Do Not Assume !!! that this is always the case. "Dry" bites are not fully understood, cannot be predicted, and there is NO cut and dry rule.

fubar
02-21-03, 10:27 AM
Thnx for the info!

BWSmith
02-21-03, 10:43 AM
Yes, venom is "generally" injected in prey items to immobilize them. Dry defensive bites generally occur when a snake is startled and does not have much time to "load it's guns". Such an instance is a resting snake being stepped on with no warning. But by the same token, it may inject venom as well. It is generally held that venomous snakes (mainly adults) have the ability to "meter" their venom and control how much, if any, is injected.

Case in Point that you never know: PK, my 48" Cottonmouth. If you get close to the cage, she will hit the plexi and spray it with venom. She will NOT however inject venom into prey. If live prey is offered, she will strike repeatedly at the feeder until physical trauma kills it. But if you look through the front while she is hitting hte prey item, she will hit the front again and a healthy dose of venom is released onto the cage. I should have named her Paradox ;)

J_Riley
02-21-03, 11:31 AM
Yeah? tell that to the preacher ;) oh wait, you can't...:D

shaggybill
02-21-03, 02:39 PM
BWSmith, do you have a pic of your Cotton?

BWSmith
02-22-03, 09:27 PM
Shaggy, yes. :D