PDA

View Full Version : Raw Scales

Kuamata
10-15-15, 06:07 PM
So, tomorrow was supposed to be the day I picked up my new Burm, but turns out the fella is having some issues as of the moment, so will be out of town this weekend. He did express his concerns about her raw scales, which I was initially told about and was fine with working with. It's a little more extensive than the initial pictures led me to believe, but I'd still like to take her in if it's manageable. I just want to be 100% I got my info right on scale care.

He said that she ate 3 XL rats yesterday, and he was feeding her more than normal to induce a shed(I thought damage induced it on its own), he's been soaking her, putting neosporin on the raw patches, and is 100% certain it's not mites. He said she's been rubbing a lot and rubbed them raw, and the male also rubbed some spots during courting her.

Just to make sure she gets what she needs, the treatment for raw scales is non-pain relief neosporin, soak in warm water, and leave them alone to heal aside from maintenance, yes? I'll probably give her newspaper until she heals up, as well. I've never dealt with scale complications before, I just want her to be healthy and happy.

Aaron_S
10-15-15, 06:41 PM
All those dark marks are the scale issues? Some of it looks like stuck shed which wouldn't be much of an issue.

I would also ensure you keep the enclosure super clean while they heal.

Kuamata
10-15-15, 06:45 PM
All those dark marks are the scale issues? Some of it looks like stuck shed which wouldn't be much of an issue.

I would also ensure you keep the enclosure super clean while they heal.

That's what he's saying, yes. Retained shed is a lot easier to deal with, I mispoke, that's the only scale problem I've dealt with, lol! That was more so with my lizards, though, making sure their little toesies were shed. I know snakes are as simple as upped humidity and/or soaks. The cleanliness is why I opted for just newspaper until she's all healed up.