PDA

View Full Version : best monitor?

snakemann87
02-20-03, 09:42 PM
hey, i have been thinking of gettting a monitor for some time. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out here. what would the best first monitor lizard be that doesnt exceed 4ft? and is strictly carnivorous? I guess a 5ft monitor would be good but nothing too big, the smaller the better, the big guys will come after some small monitor expierience. all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

snakemann87
02-20-03, 09:56 PM
actually, i just realized how big a 5ft monitor really would be, so maybe 3ft-4ft?

norman
02-20-03, 10:37 PM
savannahs are great but be sure you are ready.

snakemann87
02-21-03, 12:12 AM
yeah but i want something that is mainly a mouse/rat eater, and gets around 3ft maybe 4ft.

norman
02-21-03, 01:17 AM
that pretty much describes a savannah...

Boid_22
02-21-03, 09:01 AM
Savs are great, But it's hard to find a true CBB specimen. IF you're just starting ou with Varanids then thats what you're lookng for. The worst thing a beginner can do is start out with a WC animal. IF you must though, I STRONGLY suggest reading Ravi's new book, Entitled:
The Savannah Monitor Lizard
"The truth about Varanus
Exanthematicus"
I have read quite a few other books that were supposedly based on Sav care but ha nothing to do with savs at all!
As long as you get a CB monitor, Ask lots of questions on THIS forum (I've found when newbies ask questions they get slammed, But not in this forum)
As well as research the Varanid you are going to aqquire, You can't go wrong with any pygmy monitor.
Savs, Ackies, Green Trees, and even Blackthroats don't get overly huge.

Best of luck.

Ed

snakemann87
02-21-03, 11:35 AM
ok, but i know you cant feed savs on just mice and rats, and id prefer to just feed mice and rats, can you guys give me some list of monitors 4ft or less and how big it gets??? I would GREATLY appreciate it

snakemann87
02-21-03, 02:07 PM
anyone???

J_Riley
02-21-03, 04:02 PM
There isn't a monitor alive that JUST eats rats and mice...

most animals go through a diet change from neonates to adulthood. Most monitors start out eating insects and invertebrates and graduate to a carnivore diet, including eggs...

you can also offer them ground turkey balls as well.

I would echo the recommendations of those that suggest the Savannah Monitor...

snakemann87
02-21-03, 07:58 PM
ok, when it comes to lizards, unlike snakes, females would be smaller right? for my first monitor i dont want something huge.

KaHane
02-22-03, 04:45 AM
Go with a peachthroat or black tree monitor. although I would suppliment their diet with some insects.

snakemann87
02-22-03, 11:15 AM
well, when i say mice or rats, that kinda includes insects also, i mean, i dont want to feed them like veggies or anything. kind of like beardies eat insects/veggies

also, someone suggested argus monitors, do you guys think that is a good one to go with?

snakemann87
02-22-03, 11:17 AM
also, some info on the monitors you suggest would be good, maybe your own, or a link.

asphyxia
02-22-03, 11:57 AM
Hey Snake,

I would like to try and help but to start how much room can you afford to give it. how much money do you feel like spending,
do you care about temperment, or how much it costs to feed,
do you have kids stuff like that will help ppl narrow down,
so far I would say an Ackie but as to my favourite i like the komoto dragon the best

Regards
Brian

norman
02-22-03, 12:31 PM
i dont think there are any monitors that could eat veggies. as for info go to
www.varanus.net
www.themonitorspot.com
and i hear Ravi's new book on savannahs is excellent, though i havent been able to pick up a copy for myself yet. but i think you can purchase that off the site here.

snakemann87
02-23-03, 10:35 AM
ok, in reply to asphyxia, at the time i could build a 6x3x4, the price of stuff doesn't matter as long as the monitor stays healthy. I like monitors with a good temperment, around 3ft, maybe 4ft. I really like the monitors with narrow snouts, and what do you mean by kids stuff? Im confused with that question.

norman
02-23-03, 09:45 PM
he meant do you have any kids... probably not seeing as you are 15.

snakemann87
02-24-03, 03:27 PM
yeah i dont have any, lol

snakemann87
02-24-03, 05:44 PM
i think ive settled on a sav. about how big of a cage will i need for a female, what will i feed it, etc. Just searching for your opinions.

BAZ
03-04-03, 12:14 PM
Read Ravi's book on the Savannah monitor if you think you are ready for a 3 to 4ft monitor.

Females are smaller than males but there is no way of telling at a young age. I thought one of mine was a female until I saw it pop out it's hemipenes at about a year of age.

Ravi captive breeds Savannahs in Toronto but I don't think he has any available yet so talk to him about those.

But before you do anything I would say that you must get Ravi's book on Savannah monitors and read it first. His website is www.themonitorspot.com

BAZ
03-04-03, 12:26 PM
Please buy a book on Savs before you buy the animal.

A sav needs space. MINIMUM for a 3ft female would be 6ft by 2ft according to some. You need to give it about a foot and a half to 2ft depth of dirt to dig in.

Babies do well on crickets, meal worms and the occasional pinky (like once a week). Adults to well on a rodent diet. Whole prey items like rodents will give it all the nutrients it needs. The occasional ground turkey (like once a week) dusted with calcium and vitamin suppliment is good too for an adult but make the basis of it's diet rodents when an adult.

You need to give it a basking spot of about 130 degrees and the cool end of the cage needs to be in the low 80s. Loads of hiding spots. Large enough water dish to soak in. Keep the humidity up.

But like I said before.. buy the book first.. read it.. then buy the monitor.

snakemann87
03-04-03, 01:28 PM
sorry, i posted in varanid pics that i have decided on a red tegu, i am more interested in the tegu species, they are very neat little guys, thanks for the info though, i will eventually get a sav when im older.