PDA

View Full Version : Arrowanna

leeD
02-20-03, 04:42 PM
Hi i really want an arrowanna prolly a smaller one. I cant find too much info on these beautiful fish. I know alot about their care. But what i what i want to know is which species i should get. I can get a silver, jardina or a black. Can anyone recommend one. And the pros and cons. Which one stays that smallest? all the species info i could gte please! thx so much
Lee

Shane Tesser
02-20-03, 06:59 PM
Hey Lee, i love arrowanas too. My dream fish is a red..but at the 3000-5000 price tag in my area for a good one...i doubt im buying one anytime soon. For sizes it all depends on what species you have. You have to keep in mind that they basically come from three areas. There is Amazon, Asain, and Australian. For sizes, i looked up all the species i could for you, and there doesnt seem to be a definative answer out there between book to book. I think the problem is that alot of books are talking about captive sizes as oppose to wild caught sizes. So i will quote you sizes, that i have kind of rounded off...to put the measurement at an average between books. First off from what i can tell....all species included, they range from 30-117" depending on species. I would imagine that the largest of them are not even available...at least i hope. You mentioned three different ones, and i have found theyre sizing for you. There is silver which one book said 47" as adult...and the next book said 72"....so...youll have to do your own guessing there...but i know that silvers get big. Blacks...again depending on species...about 39-48". Jardina i could find nothing on...but i can tell you the smallest one ive been able to find info on was the pearl at 30". All require large tanks for obvious reasons. I read an article by one guy who has a silver, that he started it in a 50 gallon, then had to buy a 150, then a 180, and is now seeking out a bigger tank as it keeps outgrowing it! So what ever one you choose, be prepared for a costly tank buying adventure. Other than that, their range of requirements go from species to species. And one thing is for absolute certain...what ever tank and species you choose, make sure you have one huge cover on that tank as these things are some of the most powerful leaping fish out there :D

Edwin
02-20-03, 08:05 PM
I have kept silvers before, and mine was about 4', but would have probably grown larger. I think blacks are one of the smaller species, the one I had was also about 3-4'. No matter which ones you get, you will definitely need a big tank. Also, as Shane mentioned, you will need a firm, heavy cover for they tank with no sharp protusions/edges as they are powerful jumpers and will jump out if there is thunder/loud noises/ or people tapping on the glass etc.

Cindy Leung sells them, you could perhaps contact her for more information.

Hope this helps.

ETET
02-21-03, 01:53 AM
Finally someone want a arowana! Actually I've kept quite a few arowanas before, I can give you some info:

1. Silver Arowana (osteoglossum bicirrhosum)-a species which origin from Amazon River Basin, a most common avaliable, in captivity, mostly grow to about 48" to 60". It grow fast and can raise a few together ;a tank of 72" is minimum for an adult. Very easy and hardy in captivity.

2. Black Arowana (osteoglossum ferreirai)- a rarer arowana which is native to the Rio Brancoin northwestern Brazil. very closely resembles the silver arowana. Maximum size in captivity about 48". When its young its is black in colour with a cream colour stripe; its is amazing to see they change from this to a sliver colour. Tank requirement similar to silver arowana.

3. Jardini Arowana (scleropages jardinii)- this species can found in northern Australia. A more heavier body built fish which can reach about 36" to 40" in capitivity. This species is more aggressive and powerful, a sturdy lid is a must to prevent it jump out from tha tank.

Before you consider any above species, make sure you can provide a "BIG" tank, a 3" fish will grow to 3' in couple years. Also arowana can live a long live, 15 to 20 years with proper care is normal. So this is a kind of commitment to keep a fish for such a long time. Also, this fish is carnivore, a good and powerful filter is a must, a trickle filter is more effective to keep water a good quality. At present I'm keeping an asian arowana (scleropages formosus) , a normal red one, it is about 24" long in a 120 gallon with a trickle filter, fluidised bed and a UV sterlilizer. Of course, a sturdy lid with 6 flourscent light 12hrs a day. Food item you can use crickets, dry food, frozen shrimps ,etc ( I avoid feeders because of parasites). Other than that, change water around 10% weekly, routine check up of pH, ammonia, nitrate can help to keep them from sickness. One more thing, not advisable for any tankmate since they will attack anything smaller than them. Hope this may help for your decision.

ETET :)

ETET
02-21-03, 01:58 AM
Nearly forget one thing, asian arowana (scleropages formosus) is under CITES restriction, make sure the fish have a chip and export certificate when you purchase one from any shops.

homebrewed
02-21-03, 07:44 AM
unless you get a green asian arow, they don't need to be chipped, and are the cheapest of all the asians. depending on where you get one it'll be $200-500

just to give you so sort of idea on growth, I bought a 4" silver and within 9 months I sold him because I thought my 200 wasn't large enough for him. beautiful fish

or you can save your pennies and get a blue based RTG which is what i'll be getting next time i get an arowana :D

ETET
02-22-03, 10:04 AM
There should be something new, cause in Ontario all scleropages formosus species imported require CITES as they are listed under Appendix II. Therefore they are chipped with documentation form their origin and their size usually are 15cm when they are exported. The ones I saw those with no chips are WC and size varies from 5cm to around 20cm. Another reason may be laws are different in different provinces. The price range in Ontario are:

Green Asian Arowana: $300-$500
Golden Asian Arowana: $1200-$1500
Red Asian Arowana (GdII): $1200-$1500
Super Red/Chili RedAsian Arowana: $2000-$3000
Red Tail Gold Arowana: $1000-$1500
Blue X Golden Back Arowana: $2000-$3000 (appear around 5yrs ago, once a while price even surpass Chili Red)
Blue Base Chili Red Asian Arowana: $3000-$4500 (most exports to Japan)
Silver Arowana: $30-$70
Black Arowana: $50-$100
Jardini Arowana: $100-$200
Spotted Jardind Arowana: $150-$250

The price of the above schleropages formosus are around 15cm, chipped with documentation from their origin. WC ones are around 30-40% cheaper but should watch out for internal parasites.

Blue-base Red Tail Gold Asian Arowana, a very beautiful sub-species. I used to have one around 4yrs ago, they are more delicate and a bit smaller compare to other subspecies. The maximum size around 80cm, their behaviour more shy and easier to be scared and under stressed. As a general rule, a big tank is essential....since they are more nervous a secure lid with no sharp objects will prevent them from harming themselves. Water requirements are: 78-82F, pH neutral to slight acidic, soft water is preferable especially for breeding; weekly water change, addition of isotonic salts and trace elements can help to keep their vibrant colour; water chemistry test weekly is important. Another trick to bring up their colour: a bit exposture to sunlight/metal halide light is essential. For food issue, life prey with no parasites, gut loaded with carotene is beneficial for good health and colour. Asian arowana once they accimilated, keep the water chemistry stable, they are a very good and hardy species. Hope this sharing may help those who interesting in this species.

ETET:)

Lizzy
02-23-03, 01:26 PM
I have a Silver...He is presently 30 inches living in a 120 gallon tank. He eats trout pellets and crickets...he LOVES the crickets!

I would definatel caution you before you get one of these fish. They get big and live for a long time...what will happen when you have to move, etc. These fish are not always easy to find homes for.

For example when I started college 3 years ago, my father agreed to "fish sit" for me. He ended up being so busy that water changes were only done once per month, and the arowana ended up with such bad fin and tail rot that he no longer has a tail, and I think is stunted at 30 inches. :( I hope that when I get a place in a couple of months that a 120gallon tank will fit in, I will make sure he gets the best of everything and start growing again...maybe grow his tail back!

Just something to keep in mind before you decide to get one. Super Pet in Burlington has some nice Jardidi's...about 5 inches...and we feed them crickets, brine shrimp, feeder guppies and they are even eating flakes and pellets that are thrown in for the other fish in the tank!

Lizzy

ETET
02-23-03, 05:29 PM
Sorry about your arowana lost its tail Lizzy. Don't worry, if you fish have a big tank with good water condition, its tail will certainly grow back.

One thing unpredictable is that the shape of the new tail will change which may sometimes affect the arowana 's swimiming. If this happen, the arowana may need to go to see a vet to perform "tail trimming", i.e. the arowana wiil undergo anaethesia and a surgical technique will be performed :cut the tail to its normal fan shape; local antibiotics will apply and the tail will grow back in about 3-6 months to its normal shape. Another similar operation will perform for common problem in arowana like 'gill curling".