PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please :)

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 04:45 PM
A buddy of mine had in mind a giant day gecko project which he decided to scrap due to not being able to handle and interact with them due to their skin coming off etc etc. The idea wad scrapped and he's passing on his enclosure to me. The dimensions are 2wide x2deepx4tall.
I was thinking a small monitor or something arboreal could inhabit this. But I'm looking for suggestions as to who I can keep in here. The white stuff in the back of the enclosure is foam for the start of a 3d background which I'll complete.

Minkness
07-04-15, 04:51 PM
Woah, score!

Maybe tree pythons? Or tree frogs? Could do a killer crested gecko set up. =)

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 05:05 PM
Woah, score!

Maybe tree pythons? Or tree frogs? Could do a killer crested gecko set up. =)

How many tree pythons can live together?
Crested geckos... how are they? What requirements do they need?

I'm pretty excited about this project lol

Minkness
07-04-15, 05:11 PM
Don't know about tree pythons, but crested geckos are easy. Just need climbes lots of humidity, and some bugs and powdered gecko food. =)

In an enclosure that size you could probably do about 3-5 females. Depending on what colors you want, females can go for 150$ all the way up to over 600$.

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 05:16 PM
Don't know about tree pythons, but crested geckos are easy. Just need climbes lots of humidity, and some bugs and powdered gecko food. =)

In an enclosure that size you could probably do about 3-5 females. Depending on what colors you want, females can go for 150$ all the way up to over 600$.

So foggers are needed for them? Are females preferred over males? Any difference between males and females?
Can they be handled?

Minkness
07-04-15, 05:36 PM
Foggers are optional. Most people just mist their enclosure daily. There's not much difference in males and females except that males fight and females don't. Females are more expensive because they aren't as common as males. You can't temp sex them like other geckos, so it's luck of the draw and it's about 70/30 male/female ratio and most people who breed prefer a 1.2 or 1.3 ratio. Creaties are super handlable. Mine will hang out on my shoulders while I stroll around the house.

Also, they do not require light, so if you do use a light sorce, a simple LED is fine.

Albert Clark
07-04-15, 05:38 PM
Very nice buddy! You could even put a pair of vine snakes in there or even a brb (Brazilian rainbow boa). That enclosure seems to have great potential.

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 06:01 PM
Foggers are optional. Most people just mist their enclosure daily. There's not much difference in males and females except that males fight and females don't. Females are more expensive because they aren't as common as males. You can't temp sex them like other geckos, so it's luck of the draw and it's about 70/30 male/female ratio and most people who breed prefer a 1.2 or 1.3 ratio. Creaties are super handlable. Mine will hang out on my shoulders while I stroll around the house.

Also, they do not require light, so if you do use a light sorce, a simple LED is fine.

That's interesting

Very nice buddy! You could even put a pair of vine snakes in there or even a brb (Brazilian rainbow boa). That enclosure seems to have great potential.
Yes Albert when he told me to take it off his hands I certainlysaw the potential and was very excited to take on the enclosure. Can a rainbow boa be in those demensions as an adult?

Minkness
07-04-15, 06:13 PM
To my understanding a BRB adult needs more floor space than up soace, and keeping vine snakes together is iffy to me because they are snake/lizard eaters and I'd fear canabalism.

Mikoh4792
07-04-15, 06:15 PM
For gtp's, it is recommended to have an enclosure that is wider than tall. So you could put the enclosure on its side and use 4L x 2w x 2T as the dimensions. It is a good idea to give most snakes their individual enclosures.

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 06:21 PM
To my understanding a BRB adult needs more floor space than up soace, and keeping vine snakes together is iffy to me because they are snake/lizard eaters and I'd fear canabalism.
Yeah don't want anyone eating anyone lol. Geckos are certainly being considered

For gtp's, it is recommended to have an enclosure that is wider than tall. So you could put the enclosure on its side and use 4L x 2w x 2T as the dimensions. It is a good idea to give most snakes their individual enclosures.
Yes agreed with individual enclosures for snakes. I'll consider putting it on its side but I'm kind of excited about using the height of it. We shall see

Minkness
07-04-15, 06:43 PM
If you don't mind $$$ you could do a leachie or two. Either 2 females or a 1.1 pair. They are pricey, but sooooo cool.

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 06:56 PM
If you don't mind $$$ you could do a leachie or two. Either 2 females or a 1.1 pair. They are pricey, but sooooo cool.

Just searched them, big geckos I like lol

Minkness
07-04-15, 07:03 PM
Oh yea. On my long list of 'WANT' lol

The mating is interesting because they actually bond. You can do a 1.2 pairing, but it harder to produce so most have to be a 1.1 pair. I have heard that if separated after bonding, they either never breed again, or it can take a long time to form another bond strong enough for breeding. Such neat critters. =)

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 07:26 PM
Indeed they are mink

DDW
07-04-15, 07:58 PM
I would also flip it on its side for more floor space. For a more terrestrial species that is. Like for the BRB or some colubrids^.=.^ or small boas or pythons

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 08:11 PM
I am in love with an eastern indigo

DDW
07-04-15, 08:18 PM
I am in love with an eastern indigo

They are beautiful animals, have you looked up their care? I heard somebody has to feed theirs every few days or something about that.(only heard. I'm not sure about that) I saw one with its owner at the expo I went to. I love em too :)

havoc_vulture
07-04-15, 08:35 PM
They are beautiful animals, have you looked up their care? I heard somebody has to feed theirs every few days or something about that.(only heard. I'm not sure about that) I saw one with its owner at the expo I went to. I love em too :)

Yes they are hefty eaters
but I already own an eating machine hahaha
Haven't decided but I'm looking around
they're gorgeous animals

havoc_vulture
07-10-15, 11:25 PM
Update:

Here's the pick up
More pictures of the enclosure it is 4 feet tall by 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. The work begins and I will be open for suggestions on 3D backgrounds

Also I think I found the inhabitant but I want some info if you guys have any experience with Chinese water dragons. I hit the reptile zoo today and I fell in love with these guys. The male in particular looks spectacular fully mature

havoc_vulture
07-11-15, 06:45 PM
Is this good to make 3d backgrounds?

havoc_vulture
07-20-15, 09:07 PM
Update

Making a pond
making shelves
making rock formations
this will be cemented and what not
more to come
Waterfall lighting etc.

SnakeyJay
07-21-15, 02:56 AM
Wicked enclosure to work with, should turn out nice....

Everyone is suggesting pairs of this n pairs of that.. Personally I feel that if it's a new species then you should start with a single specimen until you have the care and habitat 100% sorted.. Otherwise your just adding problems with multiple animals when starting out. And be aware that female geckos can and do fight at times so you will always need spare enclosures in case you need to separate.. Same goes for 1.1 pairs.

As for water dragons... From what I've seen in the past and speaking to other keepers, they're very very prone to injuries and broken bones etc due to leaping off things and generally being crazy so be prepared for vet visits and bills.

How do you feel on getting bitten, as I think an ATB could look fantastic in there as a display animal :D

havoc_vulture
07-21-15, 12:44 PM
Wicked enclosure to work with, should turn out nice....

Everyone is suggesting pairs of this n pairs of that.. Personally I feel that if it's a new species then you should start with a single specimen until you have the care and habitat 100% sorted.. Otherwise your just adding problems with multiple animals when starting out. And be aware that female geckos can and do fight at times so you will always need spare enclosures in case you need to separate.. Same goes for 1.1 pairs.

As for water dragons... From what I've seen in the past and speaking to other keepers, they're very very prone to injuries and broken bones etc due to leaping off things and generally being crazy so be prepared for vet visits and bills.

How do you feel on getting bitten, as I think an ATB could look fantastic in there as a display animal :D

Trying to make it nice lol
crazy I hadn't heard anything about broken bones on the water dragon... definitely something to consider
And I have considered an ATB :yes:

havoc_vulture
07-21-15, 03:43 PM
What about a carpet ?

Aaron_S
07-21-15, 04:47 PM
Trying to make it nice lol
crazy I hadn't heard anything about broken bones on the water dragon... definitely something to consider
And I have considered an ATB :yes:

I'm a believer that water dragons need exceptionally large amounts of space for their size.

Many of them have nose rub pretty bad from being in a too small of an enclosure. I'd look for something smaller.

havoc_vulture
07-21-15, 08:31 PM
I'm a believer that water dragons need exceptionally large amounts of space for their size.

Many of them have nose rub pretty bad from being in a too small of an enclosure. I'd look for something smaller.

What about a carpet python?

havoc_vulture
08-13-15, 11:11 AM
Well the turn of events has pushed me into turning this thing into a vivarium and I will cut a couple of holes and put some side view windows then when it's all said and done my 4 red eye tree frogs shall be the inhabitants

sirtalis
08-13-15, 01:35 PM
Not a single monitor could live in that.

havoc_vulture
08-13-15, 03:55 PM
Not a single monitor could live in that.

If you read my last post you'd see who was inhabiting that enclosure