PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar to Sanitize?

AndrewM1217
05-16-15, 11:38 AM
Hello, one of my friends gave me an old 15gal tank that they used to house their bearded dragon in, and I was looking for the best ways to go about sanitizing the tank before putting my snake in it. I've read vinegar works well but was curious as to whether or not it needed to be diluted or anything. Thanks!

jossh27
05-16-15, 11:45 AM
Id dilute it Judy because of how strong it smells. Another alternative i read here is Listerine mouthwash.

pet_snake_78
05-16-15, 06:11 PM
I use a 10% bleach solution. It's known to work against a wide variety of orgamisms but nothing is 100% and the cage should have all debris removed with warm, soapy water first. Soak time should be at least 15 minutes. Rinse 3 times and let the enclosure completely dry before using. Bleach is one of the few agents that can sterilize and is amphibian safe. For reptiles, there are more options but bleach is cheap and one of the most effective agents. Excellent article on disinfecting by a Vet and reptile breeder here (http://www.reptileradio.net/club-information/32099-september-newsletter-edition-12-a.html)

D Grade
05-16-15, 06:30 PM
I use diluted apple cider vinegar and have been for about six months. No issues yet, and I prefer to stay away from bleach unless the viv is going into storage.

dave himself
05-17-15, 02:49 AM
We've been using the original brown Listerine for a few years now, we dilute it in spray bottles one part Listerine two parts water give it a sake and your good to go

havoc_vulture
05-17-15, 10:53 AM
We've been using the original brown Listerine for a few years now, we dilute it in spray bottles one part Listerine two parts water give it a sake and your good to go

Dave, this actually works well?
How is this form of cleaning for mites?
I'm in an ongoing war with mites, tryING to get rid of all of them :mad:

Derek1
05-18-15, 07:56 PM
The good thing about vinegar is it breaks down immediately upon use and exposed to the elements. Granted it smells, but leaves not harmful chemicals behind. And only smells for about a day. That's why "organic" gardeners use it as a contact weed killer. Very safe product to use. I would use it straight. 9% instead of the 5% both bought at the grocery store for $2 or less a gallon. Wash is around real good, scrub the enclosure set out for a day if that. Rinse to help the smell after a few hours if you're in a hurry and you're good to go.

lady_bug87
05-19-15, 06:32 AM
Dave, this actually works well?
How is this form of cleaning for mites?
I'm in an ongoing war with mites, tryING to get rid of all of them :mad:

The reason it's ongoing is because you aren't getting rid of ALL of them. Go to the pharmacy and pick up Nix lice shampoo. Dilute 1/4 of the bottle into 1L of water.

Throw out all your substrates and enclosure decor. Take away all the water bowls.

Wash all of your enclosures with hot soapy water then spray down with the nix dilution. Spray paper towels and use those as substrates, Do not offer water for 24h

Spray your animals with it as well. Every single one.

This next part is really important.

Spray your house. All of it. Spray and vaccum carpets, your shoes, your car, your family members EVERYTHING. Your clothes, your bedding, any soft surface in your house should be sprayed.

Mites give me the creepies.

havoc_vulture
05-19-15, 11:39 PM
The reason it's ongoing is because you aren't getting rid of ALL of them. Go to the pharmacy and pick up Nix lice shampoo. Dilute 1/4 of the bottle into 1L of water.

Throw out all your substrates and enclosure decor. Take away all the water bowls.

Wash all of your enclosures with hot soapy water then spray down with the nix dilution. Spray paper towels and use those as substrates, Do not offer water for 24h

Spray your animals with it as well. Every single one.

This next part is really important.

Spray your house. All of it. Spray and vaccum carpets, your shoes, your car, your family members EVERYTHING. Your clothes, your bedding, any soft surface in your house should be sprayed.

Mites give me the creepies.

Sheesh I hear you about the mites !
I'm looking into nix

lady_bug87
05-20-15, 09:42 AM
Sheesh I hear you about the mites !
I'm looking into nix

If you're thorough it should get rid of them in a couple weeks. You'll need to repeat the whole process every few days.

havoc_vulture
05-20-15, 12:57 PM
If you're thorough it should get rid of them in a couple weeks. You'll need to repeat the whole process every few days.

Cool I'll look into it