PDA

View Full Version : memory or stupidity?

snakemann87
02-18-03, 02:53 PM
hey, every night my burm climbs up on his lights, and EVERY time falls from the same light and lands right in the water bowl? now would you guys say hes having a good time doing some night swimming, or just falls coincidentally from the same light? lol

Dom
02-18-03, 03:14 PM
I'd say he is falling cause there is a glitch in your husbandry... I am sure there is a way from preventing him from falling anymore.. like adding a piece wood or ...

I know if my snake kept falling Id find a solution to prevent it..

snakemann87
02-18-03, 03:18 PM
thats just it though i do, i have a large climbing branch, then a small one, also vines? lol maybe hes having some fun.

Trace
02-18-03, 03:27 PM
Maybe he is having fun, who knows? But I would be concerned that the light would burn my snake or that he could seriously injure himself from the fall. Please double check your husbandry!

Trace

ReptiZone
02-18-03, 03:28 PM
dude.....WHAT ARE YOU THINKING if it climbs on the light it is not warme in the enuf in the cage and it wants to get warmer snakes don't want to have fun that is the same as saying your snake loves you you should read that thread the solution is make a cage box around the light......you beter check that burm for thermal burns.

chondro python

Dom
02-18-03, 03:33 PM
Chondro Python ..

U have no right to be rude. There is a way to get a message through without insulting someone. You have been told by an other follow moderator to be carefull with what u write. This is the second time you attack the same member..

Please be advise that there may not be a third time..

Dom

snakemann87
02-18-03, 03:36 PM
ok, me and my dad ARE making a covering for the lights but he isn't burned, he only does it at night as i tried to indicate with "night swimming". But my husbandry is good from what i know, the temp is 88, i have a heat pad on one end at all times, and i have 2 areas for climbing. My ball python enjoyed climbing on them also untill i got him a different cage.

BWSmith
02-18-03, 03:42 PM
Hardware cloth would work around the light.

But most of my caes have bare bulbs and i have never seen them tryt o climb the bulb. About everything else, but no a bulb. Maybe it wouldnt hurt to double check your thermometer against a couple more. I picked up several and hardly any of them are the same temp (from .3 F to 3F different).

ReptiZone
02-18-03, 03:55 PM
I did not mean to come off as rude and for those of you who dont know I seteld my beef with snake man befor replying to the thread sorry once again snake man if I came off to hard dude

norman
02-18-03, 04:12 PM
is it climbing up on the heat light or a fluorescent fixture? what temp does the enclosure drop to at night? Is there any way the light could be mounted on the outside of the enclosure?
pics of the enclosure would be good.

BurmBaroness
02-24-03, 11:06 AM
First, I would raise the temps. I keep all my pythons, balls and burms, at 90 degrees warm side and 82 cool side. The second thing is, he could hurt himself falling like that, it's not unheard of for a snake to die from a fall. Snakes don't "have fun" by falling from someplace, whether he's haveing "night swims" or not. Take the advice these people are giving you, it is good advice.

Burm_Crazy
02-24-03, 09:32 PM
Memory or stupidity?

That is the question....

The answer is stupidity on the owner's part for leave a burm in a cage with an exposed lightbulb. Burms are known for getting into, and moving around their enitre cage. Leaving an exposed lightbulb in a case is almost as bad as leaving a live rat in over night. It could cause serious injury to the snake and may lead to a fatal infection.

snakemann87
02-25-03, 03:27 PM
ya, and if you read the whole post, i have almost completed making caging to cover it, but he is only active during the night, when the bulbs are cooled off, trust me, if he was doing it in the day, i would have adressed the subject alot differently.

The_Snake_King
02-25-03, 04:53 PM
LIghting and having an exposed bulb as issues that should have been taken into consideration before the cage was built, not after that fact.

Most snakes will climb anywhere they can to escape the cage they are in. Leaving an exposed bulb is, in my opinion, negligent.

Most cages with bulbs in them that are exposed have the bulb placed in the center of the cage where the snake cannot reach it from climbing the sides. If you place a screnn over the bulb, the screen will get as hot as the bulb and you have the same problem. Try moving the bulb to the center of the roof of the cage. This will prevent the snake from actually coming in contact with it. And if you want, you can still cover it with screen.

snakemann87
02-25-03, 07:21 PM
well looks like i have big problems then cause my lights are centered, just with higher wattage on the right side to have a cooler site.

Andy
02-25-03, 08:02 PM
Even if you consider that the bulbs are cool because it is night, you must also consider that there is the possibility of the snake trying to use the bulb as a limb, squeeze it to hard and break it causing possible cuts.

snakemann87
02-28-03, 04:48 PM
thanks andy, I am already starting to think of a way to possibly saw out the section where the lights are, and replace it with thick screen, then just place basking lamps there.

krrc
03-13-03, 07:40 PM
well, good job. I'm just glad you asked the question and got help. Now your doing the right thing. So hopefully people can lay off ya a liitle. :)