PDA

View Full Version : BP food size question

trailblazer295
03-17-15, 05:27 AM
When I brought Mushu home he weighed 266g and was being fed wean rats. I've been feeding him weans weekly, skipping a few weeks when he was in shed. But other than 2 skipped feedings he has eaten weekly. He has been slowly gaining weight 370g and 24" Jan22, 424g Feb 26. While holding him yesterday I noticed he felt and looked heavier so I weighed him again 480g and just shy 2" wide. So I tried feeding him a small sized rat which he ate no issues. I didn't see any bumps in his stomach after feeding. He moved to his hot hide after eating. Now obviously I'm in no way trying to power feed him but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by going slow and steady. This is my first snake after all. Is feeding him consistently a slightly smaller meal then he could eat better or should I be feeding him larger meals? I've read countless mentions of BPs that go on hunger strikes in winter but I've been really lucky in that regard. He hasn't refused a meal yet. Is it okay that I keep him on smalls until he adds more weight? If so when should I switch over?

Aaron_S
03-17-15, 06:40 AM
Yes you're fine.

Use the RE feeding regime and you'll be good.

Weigh the snake. Then weigh prey items. Feed the ones between 10 - 15% of the snakes weight.