PDA

View Full Version : need some hognose help

bdemutis
02-12-15, 10:58 PM
I have a hognose I've had for about a year. I've had Him in a 10 gal tank with aspen substrate in the cage I have a basking spot on one side with a heat lamp and a heat pad I seem to be able to only get the cage up to 80 max on one side. I have a hide log about middle of the cage and his water on the cool side. I'm looking for other set up ideas for him to try and make him more comfortable since he's always been a picky eater.

bdemutis
03-25-15, 12:24 AM
Well update since I last posted I woke up around 7am 2 days ago he was roaming around his cage I keep one side around 80* and the other side cool I put a live pinky in there and am leaving it over night.

Rattlehead
03-26-15, 10:38 PM
you could try to isolate the enclosure with something (fabric, wood) to have better result with the temps

Eggplant
05-01-15, 06:39 PM
Hii

I noticed that my stays out of her hides more after I put in more things in her tank. I suggest plastic plants (for easy cleaning) and climbing branch. I know they aren't known to be climbers but mine sure likes to try :)

Don't know if it's true but I heard its nice to have two hides, one for the cold side and one for the hot. Is your tank really tall? 80 sounds kinda low

bdemutis
05-06-15, 09:23 PM
Well the temps are higher he has came out of hibernation and is crawling around every morning around 7am when I wake up so I tried to feed him I left him in a snake bag with a mouse. He was in there all day came home nothing this was Sunday put the mouse in his tank with him the mouse is still alive and the snake hasn't really showed interest he just cruises around the tank then goes back into hiding. I don't know if the pinky is to big for him its a hairless pinky I never seen one survive 4 days in a tank I have the heat lamp on a a cycle so its sun up sun down and the heat pad stays on all the time I also cleaned the tank and put about 2 inches of aspin in the whole tank it's a 10gal with screen top temps have been pretty steady. I cant figure this out at all.

CK SandBoas
05-07-15, 02:49 PM
If your Hognose is a male, I bet he's looking to breed.....I still have one male that is in breeding mode right now and is very hit or miss with his meals, while my other two males are eating consistently...

bdemutis
05-10-15, 10:35 PM
If your Hognose is a male, I bet he's looking to breed.....I still have one male that is in breeding mode right now and is very hit or miss with his meals, while my other two males are eating consistently...
The last time he ate was in the fall then he went into hibernating even though I keep the tank warm. I cleaned his tank and then he recently started coming out during the day. I put tinfoil over one side of his tank lid reflective side down and the lamp on 24/7 and the temperature on the hotspot has only been 80*f. I'm using a red infrared bulb maybe I need a bigger one to bring the heat up higher?

Albert Clark
05-11-15, 07:16 AM
He cant truly and effectively hibernate when the tank is warm. The hibernation process is carried out by a gradual lowering of temps over a 2 week period to about 50 degrees as the stabilizing "cooling" temp. His temp should remain at 50 for about 2 to 3 months and then you gradually bring up the temps to get him out of hibernation. They also don't eat during the hibernation period. Only water should be available to them. Make sure to purchase a thermostat for the heat pad this way you can set the temperature and he will be more safe and comfortable.

bdemutis
05-13-15, 10:04 PM
He cant truly and effectively hibernate when the tank is warm. The hibernation process is carried out by a gradual lowering of temps over a 2 week period to about 50 degrees as the stabilizing "cooling" temp. His temp should remain at 50 for about 2 to 3 months and then you gradually bring up the temps to get him out of hibernation. They also don't eat during the hibernation period. Only water should be available to them. Make sure to purchase a thermostat for the heat pad this way you can set the temperature and he will be more safe and comfortable.
What heat pad do you recommend? I have a cheap one from petco for a 10 gal tank.

bdemutis
06-03-15, 10:06 PM
Ok well Tried feeding him again today no take left him in the feeding container all day even put a knitted hat over it. He looks like he's loosing weight so I held the pinky with tweezers and opened his mouth with my finger and put the pinkies head in he started to work his way down got down to the legs and I put him in the container left him alone came back and he just completely spit the mouse out and was laying on the other side of the container. I even scented the mouse today with a green tree frog and put two different frozen mice in the container. I'm starting to lose all hope he's really active he'll come out and cruise around his tank he was even sitting on the tree branch earlier before I put him in the feeding container I don't get it.

eminart
06-04-15, 07:41 AM
put two different frozen mice in the container

You ARE thawing them, right? I don't want to ask stupid questions, but I can see how someone new to snakes might not have gotten the memo. They should be thawed and warmed to live mouse temperature.

Rattlehead
06-04-15, 08:49 AM
Are your temperatures still low?

bdemutis
06-04-15, 09:04 PM
You ARE thawing them, right? I don't want to ask stupid questions, but I can see how someone new to snakes might not have gotten the memo. They should be thawed and warmed to live mouse temperature.
I've owned plenty of corns before this hognose and never had a problem feeding yes I'm thawing them in warm water body temperature and even heating them a few quick seconds before under hot water. I even give him live feeders but they just sit in the tank a few days and die and I really don't see the point in spending 1.75 a few times a month if I can thaw one out and throw it away just as easy.

eminart
06-05-15, 05:38 AM
I've owned plenty of corns before this hognose and never had a problem feeding yes I'm thawing them in warm water body temperature and even heating them a few quick seconds before under hot water. I even give him live feeders but they just sit in the tank a few days and die and I really don't see the point in spending 1.75 a few times a month if I can thaw one out and throw it away just as easy.

OK, cool. I know nothing about you, and the fact that you said you put two "frozen" mice in the tank made me wonder. I figured you probably WERE thawing them, but I've seen dumber things, so I thought I'd ask.

Albert Clark
06-05-15, 05:53 AM
You can purchase a versa top cover for the tank and that will help stabilize your ambient temps and humidity. They are sold at both Petland, Petsmart and also at Petco. Try not to feed him too often and maybe next time try a f/t fish or maybe f/t smelt for now. The more you continually try to feed him the more you increase your chance of failure. Increase the time between feedings and decrease the stress in the hoggie. Good luck.