PDA

View Full Version : chams foot problem

wonder_chunky
05-12-02, 02:54 PM
in december my female werners chameleon had a clutch of 12 babies, i sold them all except one, i kept him (he was the runt of the litter). and he was growing normally and everything (for a runt) but...since about a month ago, his foot has started to look funny, the ends where his toes are were small and looked smushed, but the rest of the leg is growing fine, and now the whole end of his foot is a big mess.....he cant use it at all and it looks as if its bleeding from one of the toes now, this didnt happen over one night though....like i said it took about a month, i was thinking MBD but we give him plenty of UVB and calcium, i made sure of that, so then i though gangrene, but my iguana had that and when a piece falls off it is all black, his is normal colour, and bleeding in one spot:(
so he might of ripped off that toe, because it looked sort of dead, and i cant find the toe anywhere in his enclosure, so i dont know whats wrong with him or what to do!!!!

if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it so i can save this little guys foot (or maybe even life)

Dom
05-12-02, 03:01 PM
In my oppinion .. many things you can do on your own to help your animals but this seems like it defenetly needs a vets help...

Let us know how it turns out ..

Do you have any pictures of the leg?

Good luck
Dom

wonder_chunky
05-12-02, 04:39 PM
i dont have any pics of the leg, i need a digital camera:(
and there isnt any vets around here that deal with herps, plus he is really little so i dont think there is much a vet could do.
i'll try and get a pic

Dom
05-13-02, 02:19 AM
Well, I don't know what else to say but good luck ..

It does not look good to me..

Dom

wonder_chunky
05-13-02, 06:24 PM
his one toe is gone and the other will come off soon, and the wound on the one toe is closing up without any infections!
i just have to wait for the other one to fall off and then he shouldnt have any more probs after that....im still curious as to what happened though....:confused:

oh well
thanks

Dom
05-14-02, 06:36 AM
are you putting any betadine or polysporin on it to stop any possible infections?

wonder_chunky
05-14-02, 03:31 PM
im using peroxide on his foot, the second toe just fell off and i found it!...i was looking at it through a magnifying glass and i think i solved the mystery....all of the bones inside of the foot had the same break on them, like they were snapped backwards, so i figure...he was sittin on the screen (like he always does) and fell, but his foot stayed on and he snapped both toes....and the toes didnt heal and they died and fell off. he looks like he should be fine once he fully heals.:D

snakedude_03
05-14-02, 04:50 PM
ewww....

Jaylyn
05-31-02, 04:17 PM
I would definately take your cham to a vet - try to find one with some experience with reptiles - otherwise find one that is willing to learn.

Chameleons can get along just fine in captivity with an amputated foot (even amputated tongues) - I know that cost can be an issue - but I would look into it!

Let us know how it goes.

Best of luck,
Jaylyn

wonder_chunky
05-31-02, 07:06 PM
its been a few weeks...or a month...cont quite know...and his toes have both fallen off...and his wounds cleared up without any infection!! :D he does have a little trouble getting around now but he's getting used to it.....thanks for all of your help and concerns!!!