PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Breeding

Anole Guy
02-16-03, 08:53 PM
I know how to breed crickets but my crickets used to grow fast to adult stage but i have had them for about to weeks and they have not grown yet.Does anyone know how i can speed up this process?Does anyone know where i can get live crickets in bulk?Thanks.

Zoe
02-16-03, 09:58 PM
Feed them lots of food, and keep them in a fairly warm area. Best foods are store-bought cricket food, and you can also give them veggies and fish food.

Where do you live?

Christina
02-17-03, 07:18 AM
I actually feed my crickets the left over powder build up from my rat feed, oatmeal, vegtables and fruits. (they seem to really like the zucchinni)For other water supply I use a container with a cricket door cut out on the side and cotton balls soaked with water but no actuall water level so they will not drown this gets changed twice a week.
Christina

Anole Guy
02-17-03, 06:10 PM
I'am from Manitoba,Canada.The crickets here are 40 cents each.That's alot so i'am trying to breed them.I feed them a mixture of newt food (i feed them this beacuse it has the D3 calcium in it),fish flakes,small cut up apples,lituce,cellery and i mostine it wil a spray bottle.I also have 2 pieces of an apple in there with cotten balls soaked in water.I have 2 yogert containers in there for the eggs and some egg flats.Is it alright if i put a small light bulb about a foot from the cage and would that make them grow faster?Thanks.

garethuk1
02-25-03, 08:49 AM
use bran it's cheap

Jacenta
03-05-03, 05:18 AM
I have a question about cricket breeding.... how do you do it? Crickets get expensive for me too, so I want to get in on producing them myself. Thanks!

"Red-eye"_Matt
03-05-03, 07:21 AM
I have the opposite problem in that the crickets that I feed my red-eyes end up breeding in the tank if they don't get eatin on the first night!!!

Xetox
03-05-03, 09:44 AM
Here is a great article on cricket breeding....

http://www.cricketpals.com/care_sheet.htm

Anole Guy
03-05-03, 06:49 PM
Instead of usingcicket gel to water the crickets could I just use moist paper towel?I'am using a 2.5 gallon aquarium right now but i'am going to get a rubbermaid container.How big should the rubbermaid contaner be?Thanks.

Xetox
03-05-03, 07:08 PM
Cotton balls soaked with water works very well! and alot cheaper than gell!

And a cheap 9 dollar glass tank with a screen lid works wonders..A 75w bulb on top gives plenty of heat and small box of dirt and some paper towl or toliet paper rolls and you have a great cricket breeding tank!

That link I posted tells ya everything u need and cost very little, pays for itself fast!

Jacenta
03-06-03, 05:44 AM
thanks Xetox!

Anole Guy
03-06-03, 12:50 PM
Would a rubbermaid container do the samething?Thanks.

nouserpif
03-06-03, 02:18 PM
Well, I am not sure what you ment by "moistening" but crickets like to be dry, so, lettuce, newt food, fish food, apples, etc. is fine, and just keep a little lid wih wet paper towel on it, or a little "box" liek above... a rubbermaid would be fine, but cut a large square out of the lid, and hot-glue some screen over the hole. Put a light right above that (100W is good, I have heard, but I use a 75W) so the crickets stay at least 78F, you mgiht want to keep them in a warm are with a light...
Yeah.
Dan Conner

DNA Reptiles
03-06-03, 02:34 PM
Whilst I don't usually breed crickets, I buy large amounts on a weekly basis and also need to keep them well fed.... I cut up orange and replace daily, this gives them the necessary moisture and seems to keep them from smelling too bad.!! Hope this helps

nouserpif
03-06-03, 02:55 PM
Holy... I jsut realized... 40 cents a cricket!?!? try ordering large amounts of crickets from Port Credit Pet Center, and have them shipped, or order from wherever ships them... My pet store is 10 cents a cricket, and I thought that was a bit much!
Dan Conner

Xetox
03-06-03, 03:00 PM
Yea the fist time I was charged $1.30 for a dozen I was figuring out how to breed my own......now I do it all in a storage room that is attached to my deck at my apartent.....and they are going mad.

Right now I have about 5 - 10 gal tanks that I keep the different sizes in, and 2 10-gal dedicated to just breeding.

I have thought about asking the pet stores if they wanted to start buying from me ;)

O and yes tupaware would work, I prefer my 10 gal dont know why just do but tupaware will work just fine!

Anole Guy
03-06-03, 06:30 PM
I just made a cricket tank out of a rubbermaid conntainer.It is 55 gallons.How much is that in liters.My crickets love it.How many could I keep in this tank?How big do my crickets have to be to breed?Thanks.

nouserpif
03-06-03, 10:37 PM
Well, that is about 200 liters, and, you should be able to keep at least a thousand in there roomily, I can't quite pictur how big it is right now... Crickets have to be full size (with wings) to breed... Also, at 40 cents a cricket, go and try some different pet stores to start with some breeding stock,s o you arn't paying like $40 for a hundred, and you want AT LEAST that...
Dan Conner

Xetox
03-07-03, 12:11 PM
yea..40c is more than I have ever seen charged for em, thats just robbery!

You can order live off line, I would go that route to get you started!

Anole Guy
03-07-03, 04:09 PM
I made a cricket container yesterday out of a 55 G. rubbermaid container.I cut a hole in the top and put meatal screen.I have 17 crickets in there right now...but I need to get some more.There is not to many for that tank.How many more crickets should I get?Thanks.

Anole Guy
03-07-03, 04:17 PM
Sorry, I did not remember saying how big my tank is and etc...lol.What are some good cricket breeders in canada?I was thinking maybe to get 25-50 more.I only have 1 Anole.But i'am thinking about getting a few more lizards.

Xetox
03-07-03, 08:43 PM
here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2310268135&category=1285

20 bucks for 1000 of em, get em right off ebay!

alex_33
04-03-03, 06:30 PM
hello everyone

this post is kinda old but i have some questions about the same topic so i didnt see a point in creating a new thread jsut for my one quesiton.

anyways i was wondering if i were to keep the cricket containers needed outside during the summer, would they be okay, and woudl the temps. be right for the eggs to hatch?

Burmies
04-03-03, 07:53 PM
Not really sure, sorry.

Burmies

Xetox
04-04-03, 04:12 PM
I would keep them out of the direct sun! Since in the wild crickets like the dark damp places.....

But I have never tried it before so all you could do is try and see what happens!

Blackwidow69
04-05-03, 12:11 PM
:cool: $20 bucks for a 1000 crix OUCH!!!!!! Im paying only $14.95 shipped for a 1000... $20 bucks OWIE, OWIE,OWIE!!! Deffinetly raise your own at that price......