PDA

View Full Version : Wheatgrass in my Garter enclosure

Derek1
01-07-15, 06:37 PM
In my boredom last week or so I was looking around and read where some have grown wheatgrass in their enclosure. Mostly in the Dragon's and Tortoises, but saw one snake enclosure with it. So I decided to try it and put it in my Garter enclosure.

Got a 1lb bag of Organic WG on Amazon for like $8. Followed the directions and planted it Sunday. Already about 3" tall in just 4 days. This is only about a tablespoon or so worth. Not sure how long it will live.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv223/Derekmeredith/8809B8F2-7343-46E1-89A6-F1FF70598B2B_zpsvx1k28r0.jpg

SnoopySnake
01-07-15, 06:59 PM
Wow.. Looks cool, I'd trim that from time to time.

Emmamuradian
01-07-15, 07:28 PM
looks great! Makes me want to try :)

Minkness
01-07-15, 07:45 PM
Why wheatgrass instead of a different type?

IW17
01-07-15, 07:56 PM
Looks good. Keep us posted on how it turns out. I'll definitely try that if you can keep it alive.

Derek1
01-07-15, 08:23 PM
Why wheatgrass instead of a different type?

Just reading around. Not any in depth research by any means, but Wheatgrass seems to be easy to grow indoors.

Minkness
01-07-15, 08:25 PM
Hmm....might be something I try with my cresties then =)

Derek1
01-07-15, 09:12 PM
Hmm....might be something I try with my cresties then =)

To tie into your thread about setups on hogs and garters. You said bio wasn't practical right now. Why is that? I'm not hardcore bio, but this garter setup is. I've got about $50 tied up in it. Not including the snake. Organic Soil, Sand, Springtails, Doodle Bugs (wild caught), earth worms (wild caught) plants. Easy peasy.

I'm not real impressed with my 3D background. It's holding up well but the eco earth is staring to come off. It's insulation board with spray foam sprayed on it and eco applied while the foam is wet and left set to dry. Come to find let the foam set up and make it how you want it. Then add a layer of silicone and then ad the Eco works mo better. Live and learn.

This is the full view. It's more lighted than it looks.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv223/Derekmeredith/B8EF1F8B-183D-4502-9BEF-67D54997F9D3_zps6w5cxfts.jpg

Minkness
01-07-15, 09:25 PM
Probably because of the size of tank and my comfort level lol.

What size tank is that?

Also, do garters do well with humidity?

My next snake will most likely be a hognose and I know they don't do humid. I may try the bio thing when I get different tanks for my cresties. Right now the ones I have, have duel opening doors and I want to upgrade them to a type of tank that has just one door. So, until I get that type of tank, I don't want to throw everything into something I'm going to get rid of in a few months.

On a side note, did you quarantine the wc bugs? If so, how?

Evanthomas
01-07-15, 09:35 PM
the wheat grass is an awesome idea, i'm going to have to try that.. just need to get something to put in a tank set up like that.

Derek1
01-07-15, 10:05 PM
Minkness: This is my Valley Garter. They are from humid areas. He is pure awesome. Small fella. He's 10" maybe and about a #2 pencil girth right now. Much bigger than when I got him. He likes to hang out in his water dish from time to time. I've only handled him a couple times since I've had him. He's fast as hell and would rather just be left alone at this age and size. But he is very active and curious, and will try to hide and spy on me trying not to be noticed.

This is a 10gal tank. I did not quarantine my WC's. They came from my yard. I'm 98% "organic" and I know what is in my soil and yard so I have no worries about them.

Minkness
01-07-15, 10:14 PM
Oh cool. I may look into that later then. Right now the only reptile I have that takes humidity are my cresties.=)

I live in an apartment so wc wouldn't be a good idea for me. =)

reptiledude987
01-08-15, 09:31 AM
I like the pineapple from under the sea you gave him lol.

Minkness
01-08-15, 11:20 AM
I like using fish decore for my reptiles too lol some are nicer than what I find in the reptile section

pdomensis
01-08-15, 12:53 PM
OK just so everyone's on the same page about this grass. Wheatgrass=wheat. It's an annual (lives and seeds and dies in one season). It grows about 3 ft tall under good conditions. The "wheatgrass" that people make smoothies out of is the cotyledon or first leaf that germinates from the seed, but it's still just regular wheat.

I don't think that there's any reason not to use it for a viv, but I don't think it will look very good after a few weeks. Trimming it will help, but it will still die after a few months.

Not trying to be negative. I think it looks pretty cool in the pics actually. Hopefully this is helpful.

Minkness
01-08-15, 12:58 PM
That makes sense. I wonder what other grasses are out there that would work. =)

Deff wanna try some!

Derek1
01-08-15, 06:22 PM
OK just so everyone's on the same page about this grass. Wheatgrass=wheat. It's an annual (lives and seeds and dies in one season). It grows about 3 ft tall under good conditions. The "wheatgrass" that people make smoothies out of is the cotyledon or first leaf that germinates from the seed, but it's still just regular wheat.

I don't think that there's any reason not to use it for a viv, but I don't think it will look very good after a few weeks. Trimming it will help, but it will still die after a few months.

Not trying to be negative. I think it looks pretty cool in the pics actually. Hopefully this is helpful.

Good post. I didn't take it as being negative. It's grown another 2" today! With this setup being bioactive I plan on trimming it and letting the trimming the die and work back into the soil. I'll update how it goes.

Derek1
01-14-15, 09:52 PM
The Wheatgrass is growing like crazy! I trimmed it back Sunday. And it's growing back fast. My Garter loves crawling through and on top of it.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv223/Derekmeredith/49B166FB-A897-4FC7-A8DA-EBC61809C4BF_zpsihcgxkem.jpg

Minkness
01-14-15, 10:10 PM
Awesome! <3

Minkness
01-14-15, 10:11 PM
Double post mishap. Sorry!

malgus
01-14-15, 10:12 PM
I want that spongebob hide!!!!

Minkness
01-14-15, 10:15 PM
They have them in different sizes at my petco XD

Check the fish section!

Derek1
01-14-15, 10:19 PM
I want that spongebob hide!!!!

Got it at Walmart in the pet section.

Speaking of SpongeBob. Mr. Crabs. lives in Bikini Bottom. Think about that. Take all the time you need...

Minkness
01-14-15, 10:58 PM
Omg Derek..... LOL

SnoopySnake
01-15-15, 09:30 AM
Got it at Walmart in the pet section.

Speaking of SpongeBob. Mr. Crabs. lives in Bikini Bottom. Think about that. Take all the time you need...

Lets not forget about Sandy Cheeks.. lol.