PDA

View Full Version : baby wont eat pinkie

kuester
11-21-14, 07:23 PM
i have a baby hognose i recieved 10/7 i was guaranteed he ate voluntarily twice before he was sold however i've only gotten him to eat once.... and it was half a pinkie draped over hard boiled egg whites. ive tried doing this again but he pushes the pinkie out of the way and only eats the egg whites. so im wondering how to scent a pinkie with egg whites. ive tried tuna, sardine, salmon but he wont even go near that stuff, i dont blame him i dont like seafood either haha. im going to a grocery store tomorrow to look for frozen frog legs but im not sure he'll take that either even though hes a frog eating species im willing to try anything other than force feeding! but if anyone has tips as to scenting pinkies with hard boiled egg whites, ive tried heating the egg whites and pinkie in the same bag but it didnt work. i have a corn that eats 2 rats every 2 weeks throughout the year so im also not familiar with the hibernating species. i love my hognose and want him eating regurlary, and if he could lose a little attitude thatd be awesome but hes a baby so i understand his bluffing hes still amazing either way, i never regret him :)

hes 6 1/2" in a 10g tank with ceramic heat emitter hot side is 92, cool side 84 he has a small water dish and so many hides and decorations you can barely see the substrate. im not concerned that his cage and setting is the issue

but please help if you think you can!

BIGT FROM F.B.
11-21-14, 09:24 PM
Just make sure temps and humidity are right and go from there.

Derek1
11-21-14, 10:50 PM
84 is my hot side and she ate well today, mice. You wouldn't think it, but from living in TX there is a big difference from 92 to 84. I've only had mine a few days but she stays on the cool side so far.

wrecker45
11-22-14, 12:07 AM
I have a baby garter snake. I have to slice the top of the pinkies head open with a utility knife before he will eat it.

kuester
11-22-14, 09:35 AM
temps and humidity are right. I had my hot side around 84 but hoggie breeders were saying to increase it to 90-95 hence my 92. wrecker I have tried the braining method and the slice in half method it doesn't work for him...

kuester
11-26-14, 11:54 PM
i got him to eat half a pinkie last night i didn't feed him for 7 days, and took away his water for 3 gave him a dripping wet half pinkie and he ate it! :)

EL Ziggy
11-27-14, 11:03 AM
Congrats on getting him to eat. Can I ask why you took his water away?

kuester
11-28-14, 11:14 PM
to get him more likely to eat a soaking wet, dripping pinky. was told to try it.

Derek1
12-05-14, 10:24 PM
Update? Hope she's eating.