PDA

View Full Version : First HOT

devilwithahalo
02-15-03, 12:44 AM
Hello all,
I am wondering what you suggest for a first HOT snake. I have much experience with large boids and other "hot" tempered serpent species. I know the precautions, safety measures, and a hospital that carries the anti-venins. I personally like Gaboon Vipers, and Rhino Vipers, and hope to one day have a Brown-Phase Monacle Cobra.

Mustangrde1
02-15-03, 08:10 AM
In my opinion Devil I would suggest getting a small copperhead and work with it. Its venom is very mild in comparasson to most hots and the Anti-venom is readily available as it is a common North American species.

Work your way up to those spectacular species you mentioned though they are truly amazing in there beauty. Also before getting a venomous you might want to work with a experianced keeper for awhile to fully understand all the complexities of working handling and carring for one.

It is also a good way to find out if you truly want to own hots.lol kinda like a cooling off period for firearms.

Good luck
Scott

dlucka
02-15-03, 08:56 AM
I'm sure this is the better way to get to hot, work with some one that have
some. But it's kind of delicate asking to some one you don't really know
if he give the 101 course on hot snake... For my part i'm close to Montreal,
i really like hot and i would like to work with, i may never own one but never say never.
I did not hear about people around with hot, so in that way it's some time more easy
to get one hot and lurn from it.

That's only my opinion, but for sure you should work with some one that have experience
so you can avoid doing some beginner mistake and keep all your
finger.

Good luck

Matt
02-15-03, 09:20 AM
i agee totally with mustang, a copperhead is the perfect starter hot species. Sometimes they have a bad temper (which is good, cause it will get you used to being careful around it)....and the venom is pretty mild in the case of a mistake.

Either that or I would go with a rear fanged species such as hydrodynastes or lioheterodon.

We all like gaboons and Rhinos :D , but unfortunately IMO they arent appropriate starter hots

Gregg M
02-15-03, 09:39 AM
Hey devil,
I have been working with Gaboons, Rhinos and Puff adders for a long time now but needed to work my way up to them...... The problem with gaboons as a first hot is that the are very misleading....... Because of their usualy placid nature they give you a false sence of sicurity and thats when bad things happen...... And never rely on a hospital for the anti-venin need incase of a bite..... You should have your own supply....... It is alittle expensive but well woth it because it will save your life in the event of a bite...... Normaly hospitals do not carry av for exotic species...... They may have to go to the nearest zoo facility to obtain it....... This is bad for a few reasons....... First it takes time to transport the av to the hospital....... You could be dead by then......o> ...... Another reason is you will be taking av from a zoo that needs it incase one of the keepers gets bit....... And be prepared to pay a bill of atleast $20,000........ Does this sound like alot to consider before getting a hot snake??? Well it isnt even a quater of what you need to think about.....

Mustangrde1
02-15-03, 10:39 AM
Rear Fangs damn i forgot all about them lol. Maybe a nice Boiga Dendrophilia{ mangrove snake } might be just the snake he needs. They are Large , aggressive, beautiful and not to highly expensive. they do have venom but it wont send you to the hospital as a rule.But will remind you that had it been a hotter snake you would be in the hospitol or morge.

I just remembered something a friend told me once . Everytime you get bit take one of those yellow post it notes and write I COULD HAVE JUST DIED on it and stick it someplace , at the end of a year see how many times you were dead and ask yourself then is this something you really want to do.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Scott

Gregg M
02-15-03, 10:54 AM
One of the main goals of a venomous keeper is to not get bit in the first place......

Mustangrde1
02-15-03, 11:07 AM
Great point Greg.

Use the right tools always and be 100% attentive.

ETET
02-15-03, 01:53 PM
Very well said! Work you way up and be careful, gaboons are placid but somehow unpredictable, a first bite from one may be the last bite. Good luck!

ETET

devilwithahalo
02-15-03, 02:04 PM
Alright, Thank-you all. I appreciate your comments. It's hard to gain experience where I live (Canada), because I dont know of many people who have ever even thought of owning one. But, I will do some research on a Mangrove Snake, because they sound like an excellent starting hot. Once again, Thank-you all very much for your help.
Richard

Matt
02-15-03, 03:57 PM
Richard, just so you know, mangroves are really high strung and are quite a handful...im not saying its a bad starter, its not (its actually a great suggestion)!
...but if you dont have experience with a large, really high strung species, maybe hydrodynastes would work better?

btw, where in canada do you live?

devilwithahalo
02-15-03, 04:19 PM
I am used to working with high strung, stressed out animals, especially large lizards and some snakes. I own a retic, and I am getting a green anaconda. I work at PJ's Pets, and there are some little biatch snakes there, I've only ever been bitten twice, I can just tell when they're going to bite, and most of the time I can avoid it. I also have a tonne of knowledge on reptiles, as that is my area of expertise.

Matt- I live in Edmonton, Alberta
Richard

Matt
02-15-03, 05:46 PM
good luck with your choice, too bad you arent closer to T.O.

devilwithahalo
02-16-03, 11:56 PM
Thank-you once again guys, I think from the research I have done, a Mangrove Snake sounds near perfect for a first hot.

BWSmith
02-17-03, 08:12 AM
Just to come back to this for a moment:
small copperhead and work with it. Its venom is very mild in comparasson to most hots
I think a more appropriate wording would be that Copperhead venom is generally not condidered to be fatal. The key is that is probably won't be fatal. But from the experiences of those that have been tagged by coppers, the pain is so intense that you may wish you dead and there is a good chance of still losing a digit.