PDA

View Full Version : Eating substrate...

sSNAKESs.com
02-14-03, 05:53 PM
Okay guys! My monitor is on a feeding frenzy!! LOL he is chasing crix like crazy but he is missing and eating some soil... haha is this okay or should i be concerned??? :) THIS THING IS GREAT!

sSNAKESs.com
02-14-03, 06:04 PM
lol he shoots, he scores! :P

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/3053/1cricketmouth-med.jpg

KaHane
02-15-03, 07:25 AM
Jeff, I wouldn't find any concern with it eating a little soil. It might actually be good for him. In the wild monitors do get essential trace elements, such as minerals from food items that has been dragged on the dirt. But if the soil you use has chemicals or unnatural fertilizers, then you will have a problem.

sSNAKESs.com
02-15-03, 08:20 AM
KaHane, thanks!! I think that my soil should be ok!! It is the dark dark brown soil you buy at the home depot, with no fertalizers or anything else added, it doesnt have those white pellets or anything in it! :) Since i work on construction, in the spring when they start digging again i am going to get some good soil when they dig the basements for the houses, do you think it would be ok?? :)

asphyxia
02-15-03, 09:07 AM
Hey Jeff,

Congrats on the Monitor, I just got one myself, and they are awsome eating machines, so far shes eating rat pups, crickets, mice and I am going to try some turkey premade zoo recipie I recieved.

Hey jeff Can I see a pic of your cage.

Thanks
Brian

NiagaraReptiles
02-18-03, 08:22 AM
Jeff, don't worry so much about where you find the dirt, worry more that it's what your monitor will use/recognise. Of course by that I'm assuming the dirt in question would be free of toxins. My favorite dirt that I have used so far was dug from a house foundation in Guelph. Fantastic stuff, but I'm not sure what types of dirt you have out your way.

....and btw, the dirt you are using doesn't have additives. I at least noticed peat moss in there. I'm honestly not sure it's possible to purchase any commercially bagged dirt that would be ideal for African monitors (at least I haven't seen any, and believe me I've looked at a lot of dirt ;))