PDA

View Full Version : Varanus griseus/V. niloticus deaths

markb
02-14-03, 02:24 AM
To JT, My Condolences for your loss of your V. griseus, and to Nessie's mom, My heartfelt condloences to you and your Family....

the symptoms of the niloticus deaths seems very similar to deaths that occurred to my exanthematicus/albigularis group in 94, when I lost all 8 of them (2.1 exanthematicus; 2.3 albigularis) when I introduced a lone juvenile exanthematicus, and held it in quaurantine for 2 weeks. One day I came home to discover the little juvenile flipped on its side, blood all over its enclosure like a splatter-movie, and the lizard dead, eye wipe open, mouth agape - with much blood all over the poor little animals head. Within weeks all of my other African varanids were suffering from bloating, large quanitities of mucus, listlessness and death; Like Nessie's Mom, I was frantic to find out what was dropping my animals like flies, but my vet had no clue. Necropsy's proved little to nothing apparently wrong with their oragns. Adenoviruses were little known then, and only very recently are vets/herpetologists looking at those....such sad news to see such beautiful animals die like that....in 94 and today...
Best Regards,
mark bayless