PDA

View Full Version : Herping Trips

Swampwalker
02-14-03, 01:19 AM
Even with the Temp dropping to minus 26, I'm already looking forward to getting out herping. Its time to start thinking about what trips to go on and where to herp. I will probably go to Pelee Island this year again, and also get out looking for Massassaugas.

What does everyone else have planned for the warmer temps?

BWSmith
02-14-03, 08:57 AM
Got about 25 people headig to South GA for a big herping trip in May. In late May or June, i am heading to Tennessee to see a snake handling church service and go snake hunting with the preacher. Gonna hit Alabama and Florida this year too in addition to several South GA trips. Gotta get me into EDB, Canebrake, and Coral country :D

JD@reptiles
02-14-03, 04:18 PM
Hey

Sounds like what I am going to do too. I really enjoyed pelee island herping for racers and killbear park for looking for rattlers. I just came back from Costa Rica and caught a couple Fer-de-lance, Neotropical rattlers and some Cateye snakes. and I'm also going to florida in the next few weeks. i feel spoiled:D.

Anyways Have A Great Day

Jordan:)

Lisa
02-19-03, 01:37 AM
Plan on spending some time at the cottage, checking out the wildlife that hangs around this place.

http://geekgrrl.ca/pondview1.jpg

BWSmith
02-19-03, 08:26 AM
Very nice. Where is that located? And dont be too specific, if it is in Canada, remember, I can barely find Canada on the map ;)

Lisa
02-19-03, 11:15 AM
That's the back yard @ the cottage. North east of toronto

Christina
02-20-03, 09:06 PM
Well we will be doing our weekly nature walks in the Provincial Park ..we never leave dissapointed..we have found species galore five lined skinks...northern ribbons...eastern garters...red bellies...northern water...eastern hogs..smooth greens...eastern milks... salamanders...many different species of toads and frogs snappers...blandings and painters.
It is a play ground literally in our back yard.
Jay and the son are looking forward to the Pellee trip as well!
The thaw is soon to be here!!
Christina

Ritus_Reptile
02-24-03, 03:09 AM
You all are making me jelious with these exotic trips of yours hehe. Sounds like alot of fun wish you all the best of luck.

Oh yeah I have one question where is pellee?

JD@reptiles
02-24-03, 09:00 AM
Pelee island is a little island of the cost of point pelee... haha not much help eh? it is in lake erie. i am not able to attach a map of it because its too much memory. but it is the best herping place in ontario. where are you from ritus reptile?? do you have an Email?
i will Email a map to you.

Have a good day.
Jordan

:D

BWSmith
02-24-03, 10:48 AM
Oh, forgot to mention that I am going to Costa Rica for 7 days :D

JD@reptiles
02-24-03, 12:14 PM
I love it there. where abouts are you going?

Jordan.

Ritus_Reptile
02-24-03, 04:26 PM
I am from southern New York. My email is evhybrid@yahoo.com

Swampwalker
02-24-03, 04:44 PM
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1040fox001.jpg
Fox Snake on Pelee Island

Matt
02-24-03, 10:05 PM
wow....great shot of the fox!!!!

BWSmith
02-25-03, 08:48 AM
Very pretty snake. Herpin down here, we find more copperheads than anything else.

JD@reptiles
02-25-03, 10:39 AM
I have to join you on a herping trip than. that is my favorute pit viper :D.

BWSmith
02-25-03, 11:09 AM
Copper is definately one of my favorites. Can't keep to many fromt he field this year. i got coppers coming out my ears in the hot room!

Matt
02-25-03, 11:21 AM
hey swampwalker, ever see a blue racer on pelee?

JD@reptiles
02-25-03, 12:14 PM
I have not caught a racer yet... but a reply to BWSmith I dont keep anything wild caught i feel its wrong unless they are impossable to get CB.

JD

Swampwalker
02-25-03, 05:53 PM
I have seen one Blue Racer, but I didn't get a picture.

Matt
02-25-03, 09:16 PM
well thats one step better than ive ever done ;)
maybe this year will be the year!

J_Riley
02-27-03, 01:53 PM
I'm going to Texas in late May (in lieu of going with BWSmith and his posse) for 3 days. Our holy grail is a huge coachwhip, and our collecting tools will be digital cameras. Essentially, my buddy is a herp guide, since it's his turf we'll be checking out. Herping in the texas heat is going to suck, but if you're gonna see coachwhips, that's when it'll be. Road cruising by night, special spot (manmade, taken over by nature) to view amphibians, another for turtles. We'll probably put 2000 miles on his vehicle, 100 on our feet and I'll probably sleep 8 hours in 3 days :D

Man, I can't wait!!! Is it May yet?

BWSmith
02-27-03, 02:45 PM
in lieu of going with BWSmith and his posse
He he. Well both should be good trips. I hope toget out west this year. But there aint nothin like herpin South GA Swamps! ;)

Dozer
02-27-03, 02:49 PM
I'm going to Laredo Texas maybe this March, if not then i'm going up to my cottage up near Midland. Texas is hype for herping man, last year when I went I really didn't do much because I wasn't into herps. But I do remember on a rest area a sign saying "Do not wander off lit parking space. " and underneath that said somthing about rattlers. They tend to come up towards the parking spots at night 'cause the heat emmited from the cars. So be careful!! lol Does anyone know what kinda herps I could find around the Midland area, thats about 45 minutes north of Barrie.

Thanks,

Mike

Xetox
02-27-03, 09:16 PM
Yea we have alot of copperheads around, but one thing I love about where I am from is the pigmies rattlers!

BWSmith
02-27-03, 10:47 PM
I amlooking fro Pygmys Memorial weekend.

J_Riley
03-03-03, 08:29 AM
Dozer, there's a website that lists all the species of Texas herps along with their range maps. Or you could shell out $14 for a Conant's field guide to Eastern and Central herps on Amazon.com

I'll try and post a link for the website if I can find it again.