PDA

View Full Version : Sigh...Porkchop isn't eating.

moonchild
07-13-14, 06:24 PM
I was hoping not to run into this problem so soon! lol.

So I got my hoggie almost a month ago, and he ate a few days after I got him. Quite greedily, I may add! A week later, we tried to feed him again, and he refused the mouse. Later that day, I tried again and he took it. Ever since then, though, he has refused every single meal I've offered. He sniffs the mouse, then hisses and strikes at it. I don't know what the deal is -- nothing in his environment has changed. The mice (large fuzzies/small hoppers) are from the same batch as the first two he ate, same size, same color, etc. The temperatures in his tank have remained constant. He comes out frequently and cruises around, which makes me think he is hungry.

He is not a nervous or defensive snake, so I'm not sure what the deal is with him hissing and striking at his food. He doesn't do that to my hand when I pick him up. Oh, and he definitely doesn't look like he needs to shed.

Thoughts??

I'm hesitant to try scenting or a live mouse because I'm afraid it will make him pickier. :\ As far as I know, he's always been a good eater and has been eating f/t mice his whole life.

Snakeguy5
07-13-14, 07:08 PM
What temperature is his hotspot?
How do you give him the mice?

moonchild
07-13-14, 07:11 PM
His hot spot is at around 95 (surface temp, not air -- he has a UTH as a heat source), but he has always avoided the warm side of the tank. I feed the mice with tongs, warmed up in water and dried off with a paper towel. He didn't have a problem taking the first two...

franks
07-13-14, 07:34 PM
It's only been 2 weeks if I am reading that correctly. I would wait a few more days before trying again. Your snake has not been off food for enough time to hurt him or anything. Next time you defrost the mouse, use a zip lock bag to retain the scent. You may be washing out the scent a bit. Sometimes that matters, sometimes it doesn't to a snake.

moonchild
07-13-14, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the tip....I'll try that. Was advised to feed him every 5 days or so in a hognose group, so him not eating for two weeks had me slightly worried. He looks and acts healthy otherwise, though.

franks
07-13-14, 08:21 PM
You are far from having to worry. 5 days seems a bit too soon for me. You do not want to be power feeding your snake. I like going every 7 days for my younger snakes. Sometimes it takes them 2 or 3 days to digest.

Snakeguy5
07-15-14, 05:36 PM
You could also try just putting the mouse in his cage and leaving him alone.