PDA

View Full Version : Snake terrariums.... (warning long) :p

Nikki Gervais
05-09-02, 03:58 PM
Hey everyone,
For a few years now I have been adding my personal touches to aquariums including building a few, but they were mostly for someone who only keeps one or two snakes and displays them.

I now keep several different sizes and species of snakes and transforming 20 and 33 gal aquariums is becoming useless because: 1. They are not stackable. 2. They take up a LOT of room.

Being that all the cages are in my room it is getting hard to move around. :rolleyes:

I have been drawing plans in my spare time of terrariums that are not only stackable but suitable for all species of land snake including hots. However they are not suitable for arboreal, aquatic or subterranean species.

These terrariums are going to be created specifically for snakes and so in my opinion would not be suitable for other species of reptile and amphibian. :o

So far I have it all figured out...
Materials, dimensions and everything else.

There will be no wires inside the terrarium so there is no risk to the snakes.

The only thing that has me stumped is what to do about regulating temperature and humidity. For temperature regulation I was going to use a thermostat. They don't cost too much and here attached is a similar model to what I used in other terrariums. (The link wasn't working so I borrowed a pic from Canadian Tire LOL)

One thing I don't like about that model is that you can't choose the exact temperature. But it works well in all my other tanks.
The only problem with using this type is that they have to be right inside the tank to work.

I don't want to have anything inside the tank other than the terrarium decor, thermometers and a humidity gauge. These things are harmless to snakes as long as they are mounted properly. The thermostat has wires and other possible hazards.

So..... What do I do?
I was trying to think of something that would come through the wall and monitor the temperature, something similar to the thermometers, but nothing comes to mind...

Any ideas?

As for the keeping the humidity up, I will conquer this problem next...