PDA

View Full Version : Burm sizes

Weather1
02-11-03, 03:09 PM
After reading many care sheets on burms, I am alilltle confused on there adult size. Some say 12 feet others say 22+

I was wondering the size of the members of ssnakess adult burms are. Male sizes and female sizes.

Thanks for the help
o>

J_Riley
02-11-03, 03:13 PM
Females as a rule get far larger. Most males max out at about 12, but I have seen one 18' and 180 pounds. It would not be out of the ordinary for a female to hit 20' and 225 pounds.

snakemann87
02-11-03, 05:11 PM
My herp friends have males from 9-12', and females up to 18', I can't help you with any member burms cause mine is only 4 months old, and 30''. He has a while to go:)

SpongePat
02-11-03, 10:49 PM
On average, a female burm will reach about 18 feet or so, although ones well in the 20's is not unheard of.

Andy
02-11-03, 11:02 PM
I dont think on average you can expect you burm to get 18 ft. An 18 ft. burm is big and not all that common. A 20 ft. burm is going against the norms. 15 or 16 ft. is a much better average size for a burm.

Jurliki
02-12-03, 02:08 AM
I agree with Andy, a 20 ft. burm is a big burm. The most of the people I know had never seen a burm of this lenght. My two burms are:
female 4'23 meters
male 2' 58 meters.

Jurliki

snakemann87
02-12-03, 07:15 PM
Yeah, thats true jurkili and sponge, but you could easily make it reach 20'(if your that stinkin crazy).

jason h
02-12-03, 08:13 PM
well my male is 14' and my female is 16' they are both around 4.5 years old:D

Jurliki
02-13-03, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by snakemann87 but you could easily make it reach 20
it depends of the snake, not only of the food. Anyway, I know I will not resist the temptation of give lots of food to the female in the future, when I have a bigger house. Even I don't want to risk her healt given her more food that she can eat (That's impossible..... she canīt stop eating!!!!!! ;) ).

Jurliki

Andy
02-13-03, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by snakemann87
Yeah, thats true jurkili and sponge, but you could easily make it reach 20'(if your that stinkin crazy).

Not so, If a snake is going to reach 20 ft. (way more likely a retic than a burm) it will reach 20 ft. because of its genetics, not what you feed it. Overfeeding/powerfeeding doesnt increase the overall size of your animal it just makes your animal reach that size quicker.

snakemann87
02-13-03, 03:21 PM
yeah, they have a good chance of reaching around there

Jurliki
02-14-03, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Andy
Not so, If a snake is going to reach 20 ft. (way more likely a retic than a burm) it will reach 20 ft. because of its genetics, not what you feed it
Well, genetics aren't all. It's the most important, obviously, but the feeding has a good part. It not only makes your snake grows qickly, it helps the snake to groeing more. If you have a "genetically giant burm" and you don't give it the proper food, it won't reach its "genetically marked" size, belive me.
food is not all what makes a snake a giant, but it's important.

Jurliki

Andy
02-14-03, 12:17 PM
I agree, but I was reffering more to powerfeeding vs. a normal healthy diet. Powerfeeding wont increase a snakes overlength.

snakemann87
02-14-03, 06:58 PM
how is that andy? overfeeding cause rapid growth, and can give more time to grow slower after maturity.

Andy
02-15-03, 12:16 AM
Powerfeeding just makes you get to the overall length quicker, but it wont make the snake longer, that what genetics are for

ReptiZone
02-22-03, 01:11 PM
power feeding is I find not the healthyest way to aproach the situation have you ever sean a snake with a head smaler then it's body is. That is a resault of power feeding they get big faster so ppl can be proud of there specimens dont get me wrong every one wants to be proud of there animals but take pre-cautions if you get them breeding size be fore they can actualy breed that is kinda wrong I find that like a 6 foot 3 year old human adult breeding size but cant breed. just my 2 cents spend it where you want.

Andy
02-22-03, 01:45 PM
What? What does that have to do with anything?

Andy
02-22-03, 01:46 PM
Ive never seen a 6 foot 3 year old human. But I have seen breeding size male snakes in less than a year old, and they will breed.

BreaksBabe
02-22-03, 04:42 PM
by no means is my female an adult but shes already almost 6ft

ReptiZone
02-23-03, 02:57 AM
its hard to explain..

I meant power feeding a snake is like making it huge in a couple of months and the snake cant even breed yet cause its like 6 months old and not sexually mature.

The 3 year old kid of 6 feet tall was just a ~comparison~.

Its like if the 3 year old kid gets bigger and taller...(looks like an adult) and people would want him to reproduce..its just not right because he does not even know what his reproductive parts are yet!

Thats what im talking about with the snake...if you power feed a snake to make it breed for profit and your snake becomes like 10-11 feet in 1 year because you power fed it..technically it would almost be ready to breed sizewise but it doesnt realize that it should breed..and even if it does..the hatch rate isnt always as elevated because you have a female burm that is the appropriate size to breed but shes too stressed from power feeding so when it comes to the "motherly love" for the eggs care, it may lack or not be present.

Dont get me wrong...a snake that is over 2-3 years old and you want to power feed a female to get some girth on her for the season coming, that i understand completely but what i dont like is when somebody buys a baby snake and power feeds it to get it as big as possible in the first year so they can breed as fast as possible.

This post may make even less sense than the last one, i tried to make it as clear as possible.

Chondro Python :cool:

snakemann87
02-23-03, 06:08 PM
my burm is 4 months old, and just hit 3ft.

The_Snake_King
02-24-03, 02:47 PM
You said that already in your first post snakemann87.

tightsqueeze
02-24-03, 08:28 PM
Im with Chondro Python!
he is right