PDA

View Full Version : i need your opinion

snakeman92
02-10-03, 09:06 PM
i want to get a new reptile for my collection but i dont know what to get could any of you guys throw me some ideas plz
thanks

HeatherRose
02-10-03, 09:28 PM
I say go for a crested gecko! Best in the land!

You can check my little website (below!) for tips and pictures....they eat babyfood, which is a bonus because it mean less petstore runs for crickets.

They are very easy to care for, and with all their morphs and patterns they're (apparently - I'll be at this soon) a BLAST to breed.

Hope I helped!

Heather :D

Katatonic
02-11-03, 12:53 AM
Okay, crested geckos are great and all, don't get me wrong, but, geez, there are other things out there. Look at other options. Herpetoculture didn't rise from working solely with one species.

Ideas... Ideas...

Blue Tongue Skink
Leopard Gecko
New Caledonian Crested Gecko
African Fat-tail Gecko
various sand geckos of the stenodactylus genus/family/species whatever
Frog-eyed Sand Gecko
Bearded Dragon
Frilled Dragon
Australian Ridge-tailed Monitor
Rosy Boa
Veiled Chameleon
Panther Chameleon

Figure out what kind of space you have to work with, how often you want to "play" with this animal, what kind of cash are you willing to drop, how much time do you have initially to devote towards this animal?? Answer those questions and maybe go over a few of those animals noted above and see if they sound right for you. Good luck.
LATER

eyespy
02-11-03, 12:49 PM
Lots of good colubrid snakes to choose from, corns, kings, milks, rats, pines, bulls, etc.

Garter or ribbon snakes are fun to watch fishing and you can feed them canned or frozen fish, earthworms, canned cat food so you're not so tied to a pet store.

Frogs and toads are fun and sing pretty little songs when it's raining.

Surf over this website and any other large reptile site you can find and see what appeals to you, then come ask specific questions about the animals you're leaning towards.

HeatherRose
02-11-03, 06:38 PM
lol *curses Katatonic again*

Yes, there's a ton out there! I was actually on a quest for a small species of tortoise or turtle before Kate recommended a crested gecko!

Looking's half (ok, I'm lying, it's boring) the fun!

:D

Heather

snakeman92
02-11-03, 07:42 PM
i want something different that would be ok in a 45 gal tank it hole life so if u know of anything that fits this plz tell me
thanks

HeatherRose
02-11-03, 07:43 PM
tee hee a whole bunch of cresteds.....1.3, maybe 1.4...
Heather

katev17
02-12-03, 06:55 AM
Yea, definitely don't go for a chameleon, they need height and more airation [right word?] (I'm looking at Katatonic's list) ... I don't know much about skinks but you could probably keep one it that setup.... maybe a bearded dragon... I can't picture a 45 g tank lol :rolleyes: but yea, I really do recommend a lot of what's one Kat-'s list except for the chams. (Not because I don't think you could handle taking care of them or anything, just that the tank you're looking at would not be suitable!)

Let us know of your choice!!
Kate

Katatonic
02-12-03, 04:36 PM
LOL Punkuponastar... Sorry...
Katev, yes chameleons would prefer more height to their enclosures, and I think the word you were looking for was "ventilation".;) But I gotcha anyways. I'm not a chameleon expert by any means, but I don't think that's such a huge concern up in Canada atleast... More so in the U.S.

Snakeman92
Yea, 45 gallons, perhaps consider a Mali Uromasty (CB preferred, as some wild caughts don't acclimate that well), a Bearded Dragon (if you purchase it as a hatchling, you may need to raise it for a bit in something a little smaller than the 45G), or one of the fine species of blue tongue skinks... They're so darn hardy, it wouldn't really matter how large of enclosure you kept him/her in. Those are my suggestions. Good luck man.
LATER

katev17
02-12-03, 04:44 PM
Ventilation! That's the one!!! Yea, but it's still a pretty big concern, because otherwise the humidity levels won't be stable and you're not going to have a very happy cham on your hands lol!

Skinks are fun, they're my suggestion to you!

Kate

HeatherRose
02-12-03, 05:03 PM
yay! Good luck and happy herping..I think my next project (AFTER the breeding project) is a bearded dragon or leos!

Heather

katev17
02-12-03, 09:47 PM
Nah, Heather, I think you should skip a few steps and start on nile crocs! lol

Kate

RachelS.
02-12-03, 10:01 PM
I know this is a lizard forum but...
... umm anyone ever think about snakes?? You could try...

hognose snakes
a group of garters or ribbon snakes
kenyan sand boa
ratsnake
ball python
2 water snakes
milksnake
kingsnake
cornsnake
rosy boa
tanimbar scrub python (be careful, make sure it's pure TANIMBAR)
calibar burrowing python
amazon tree boa
viper boas

There's many more! just look around :)
Hope this helped :rolleyes:

lynsey_togofire
02-12-03, 11:20 PM
yes! go for a togo fire skink! they are adorable, would LOVE the 45 gal...and are absolutly brilliant in color! i have one...and he is a DOLL! *blush* you should think of skinks...if not the togo then maybe a blue tongue or something! hope this helps!

lynsey