PDA

View Full Version : For Approval/Comments

asphyxia
02-10-03, 07:09 PM
Hi,
Below is my New Whitethroat, aquired at the show and her enclosure..(100 Gal)
Any constructive comments are welcome

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/985feb_10_wt_a-ok.jpg

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/985feb_10_wt_set_up1.jpg

Thank you
Brian

NiagaraReptiles
02-13-03, 07:19 AM
No offense but it does look awfully open. Somtimes w/c monitors can do fine with glass walls, but I've found from experiance that it sure does make things a lot more difficult as a keeper to adequately provide for the cage enhabitant and can cause extreme stress.

Honestly, to me that cage looks like an oversized Ackie cage..........more suited for an enormous Ackie than an Albig in my opinion.

I'd strongly suggest you read up on Albig's natural environment, and areas in which they have been found. I think it may help you decide what you monitor is looking for.........

Also, don't come here looking for "approval", go straight to the horses mouth and pay attention to your monitor. I'm sure it will have all the answers to your questions. You just have to learn to know what it is telling you.

Best wishes with your new addition.

norman
02-13-03, 12:41 PM
good lookin monitor!

asphyxia
02-15-03, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the comments and no offence taken however,
I will still come here for approvals and comments thank you

I have also read all i could fine about the monitors including Ravi book, and have spoke to many many ppl for advice. she does have about 4 hide areas and she seems to be settling in fine, now if you can tell me what you think she is missing i will look into providing it.

Thank you
Brian

sSNAKESs.com
02-15-03, 09:46 AM
Hey Bri nice setup! Althought was John is saying is true... the Retes stack you have is the best for ackies... Your white throat would probably enjoy the tank more if he has that depth of soil on the right all the way through with some logs etc on top. From what i know, they always tend to start a burrow up against something like a log etc and dig down from there. But again, if he is enjoying that setup then by all means continue to use it! :) If the animal isnt telling you he needs anything then you must be doing something right! :)

snakemann87
02-15-03, 10:13 AM
awesome little guy, you got a monster coming:), i agree with them also, get some backround there, hed save himself from pain and enjoy it

HeatherRose
02-17-03, 06:48 PM
What an ugly monitor!!! I'm just kidding, it's BEAUTIFUL! I love it....and I like the enclosure too ;)

LOL when you said constructive critisism is welcome, I HAD to rebel....lol just joshin' ya Asphyxia....

:D

Heather

asphyxia
02-17-03, 07:17 PM
um aa yea thats funny, hmmmmm

You need another cause Heather LOL

Brian

HeatherRose
02-17-03, 07:38 PM
Yah I'm pathetic, I know....:P I really have nothing better to do, I'm a troublemaker :rolleyes: I really like the enclosure though.....got a name for the monitor yet?

Heather :D

NiagaraReptiles
02-18-03, 08:33 AM
Brian,
I think you totally missed a few of the points I was trying to make. Re-read my inital post with an open mind.

Monitors aren't like any other reptile that I have ever worked with. NOTHING is by the book with a monitor, nor does any one person hold the answers. Only <b><i>your</i></b> monitor can tell you what it wants. That is what I was getting at when I suggested you not come here looking for approval. What doesn't anyone's approval here on a computer have to do with you and your monitor?

Absolutely come here to share and ask questions, etc. but don't expect think anyone here ever knows better than your own monitor.

asphyxia
02-18-03, 06:00 PM
Understood Niagara

To date my monitor seems to be adjusting very well,
he is digging on the digging side sleeping/resting & basking on the retes stack and eating very well. dusted crickets mice, rat pups, and this weekend i am cooking up the turkey recipie from the san deigo zoo.

Best regards
Brian

sSNAKESs.com
02-18-03, 08:13 PM
Brian, if you monitor is eating the rats and bugs i would stay clear of that turkey recipe... From what i have read monitors have had problems from the recipe but monitors dont get problems from the whole foods diet (what you are using now).

asphyxia
02-18-03, 08:34 PM
Ok Jeff let me do some more research on the subject,

so in your (anyone elses is also welcome) opinion is she behaving
"Normal"

B

reverendsterlin
02-18-03, 08:42 PM
only thing she may really need is a boyfriend to ogle. j/k

asphyxia
02-18-03, 09:15 PM
in due time reverend, in due time

B

sSNAKESs.com
02-19-03, 05:12 AM
Brian, i am just as new as you are but from what i understand your monitor is doing great :)

NiagaraReptiles
02-19-03, 07:49 PM
Behaviors can be very easily misinterpreted and impossible to judge in text, only observation.

As for the "Turkey Diet", I think it is of no benefit to monitors at all, not to mention it is more difficult and messier.......enough reasons for me. Properly reared whole prey items have everything a growing monitor needs......

Just my opinion :)

asphyxia
02-21-03, 04:18 PM
?rN?.R. and Jeff

Just found out she a has a type of hookworm, so i started another post. although she is still in excellent condition fiestey, alert with a great appitiate, and drinking well, and seems comfortalbe at all levels of the stack.

Thank You
Brian

P.S. N.A. what do you interput the digging to mean eg trying to escape, or just digging because thats what they do lol

NiagaraReptiles
02-23-03, 07:25 AM
From what you've mentioned there and what I've seen of your enclosure, I'd say stress. But again, you're the one observing. The question becomes; Are you seeing what you think you are seeing?

JonK

asphyxia
02-23-03, 07:45 AM
Hi Jon,

I think I see what Im seeing, but Im not sure what you think I'm seeing, but what I am seeing seems like a well asjusted Albig.

Also from what i can see, he likes seeing out ot the enclousre

See you later
Brian

paul_le_snake
02-24-03, 08:59 PM
from what ive read the turkey diet has been used and approved of by several zoos including san diego. also too many rodents have been proven to bulk up monitors too much and cause serious liver and kidney probs
cheers
paul

Ravi
02-25-03, 08:53 AM
Paul can you elaborate on your statement that too many rodents will cause liver and kindney failure. I'm curious about this and would like to hear more. Can you also provide citations for where it has been proven. Were you talking about albigs in particular or monitors in general. Thanks a lot.

Cheers
--Ravi--

paul_le_snake
02-25-03, 10:12 PM
i didnt say it would cause liver and kidney failure, just certain problms have been highlighted by over feeding rodents to all age of monitors. because of the high protein diet it can cause stress to certain organs, and lead to an premature death
cheers
paul

Ravi
02-26-03, 07:51 AM
Ok, I see what you mean. However, I have to disagree with you. Where has it been proven that this is the case with monitors? I've heard this (as most have) so many times but never any solid evidence to back it.

Just seeing if you have some insight into this topic that may have been overlooked,

Again, thanks.

Regards
--Ravi--

paul_le_snake
03-03-03, 12:47 AM
ok but from what i ahve seen in, admittidly limited numbers of monitors raised from birth. that the ones fed a complete rodent diet from pinks to adults have had a shorter lifespan, attained huge weight and been far less active. maybe thee few animals are a one off, but i can only report what ive seen and experienced. whereas others that have had a mixed diet of insects, fish, chicken gizzards and the very occasional rodent that they have been more active, and in my opinion been more relaxed
cheers
paul
ps im off back home for 3 weeks
have fun!

ReptiZone
03-03-03, 04:18 AM
All I know is that I used to feed the monitors at the zoo a balance diet of rats, mice we threw crikets and other insects in for a snake when they would get hungry befor feeding day we also new a rabit breeder he used to breed rabits for ppl who like rabit sew but he would cut off the head and legs and when he went on a killing spree we got all the left overs and then we had a feeding frenzy along with some birds and some FRESH steak.

Chondro Python