PDA

View Full Version : My first Baby Hognose

potter545
02-27-14, 08:19 PM
I just got a 3 month old Hognose! He is Beautiful. Named him Kal-el.

Im not too sure where his care differs from my Corn snake....

I am feeding him two pinkies a week, 1 every three days.

I bought 30 pinkies to be on the safe side, and am hoping that is not wayy wayy too much....15 weeks of pinkies...

Snakeguy5
02-28-14, 12:28 AM
Two pinkies a week is good.

Keep his hotspot 90+ degrees.

Kimmie
02-28-14, 01:35 AM
grz I just got myself a hoggie aswell they are so cute! :D

potter545
02-28-14, 03:35 AM
I just bought an infrared heat lamp. I'm using that to heat up the viv In addition to the UTH

Hurrok
02-28-14, 11:07 AM
You probably won't need another heat source when you already have one. Heat lamps can suck the humidity right out of the cage which can cause some shedding issues down the road. Congrats on the new little one, Hoggies are great! :)

poison123
02-28-14, 11:09 AM
Hognose snakes don't really need high humidity above ground. Provide nice deep substrate like a sand/ eco earth mix or a humid hide.

potter545
02-28-14, 09:45 PM
I've got aspen inside. I usually spray my guys with water twice daily when they are about to go blue. Found it helps.
I'm not sure how much the lamp helps. It's an infrafred light, doesn't feel too hot tho. But Kal-el seems to like basking In it. He's doing it right now. My house isn't that warm. When I go out....my kerosene heater has to go off as well as the light. Same when I sleep. Weekends light is on 12ish hours....weekdays....bout 5 hours.above to lid too which may deflect some of the heat.