PDA

View Full Version : My first Hognose baby :)

Kimmie
02-26-14, 05:32 PM
So not so long ago I bought a pair of hognoses sadly the boy would not eat and died, I had a feeling he was sick :(, I still got the little girl and she eats like there is no tomorrow I just love her so much, this is by far my favorite snake now :), but she will only eat if I dip the pinkies in tuna. The question is, I know in the wild they eat all kinds of things like frogs etc, but can you give them other things then pinkies like small fishes?. Sorry if it is a stupid question it is my first Hog, and i'm sure to keep more in the future :D

wrecker45
02-26-14, 05:52 PM
I have a pair ok hoggies. I only feed them pinkies.

wrecker45
02-26-14, 05:55 PM
I have a pair of hoggies. I only feed them pinkies.

mrderson
02-26-14, 06:07 PM
I also have 2 hoggies. I read that some people feed them toads (I can't remember about fish) however frozen pinkies are best because there is more possibility of bacteria or parasites in fish and toads. I got this info when I was researching before buying mine so someone correct me it this information is wrong.
I luckily never had to scent the food with mine so I can't really give any tips if you are trying to get her off scented pinkies.

Kimmie
02-26-14, 06:10 PM
I also have 2 hoggies. I read that some people feed them toads (I can't remember about fish) however frozen pinkies are best because there is more possibility of bacteria or parasites in fish and toads. I got this info when I was researching before buying mine so someone correct me it this information is wrong.
I luckily never had to scent the food with mine so I can't really give any tips if you are trying to get her off scented pinkies.

Okay np and thanks :D

wrecker45
02-26-14, 06:15 PM
If you feed them other prey you might turn them off pinkies .

Kimmie
02-26-14, 06:37 PM

okay thanks, I will just keep giving her mice then :)

Snakeguy5
02-26-14, 10:46 PM

Most likely that would not happen. Once a hog starts eating they usually don't stop.

I'm not sure of the nutritional value of fish or toads, but mice do provide everything needed. Also, mice are pretty cheap.

I currently have 15 and I feed all of them mice.

aRepDysfunction
02-26-14, 10:51 PM
my male hoggy is picky too, but my female is a beast at feeding time.

Kimmie
02-27-14, 04:15 AM
my male hoggy is picky too, but my female is a beast at feeding time.

Yea I guess she is just a little picky, im just glad she eats, I just dont like buying so much tuna I think it is sad to buy those poor fishes but I will do it for her :)

wrecker45
02-27-14, 07:45 AM
Try giving unscented first.

Kimmie
02-27-14, 12:33 PM
Try giving unscented first.

I have tried also live but she only wants the tuna one hopefully she will want them later ^^

Snakeguy5
02-28-14, 12:29 AM
So are you feeding her a mouse or a tuna?

Kimmie
02-28-14, 01:28 AM
So are you feeding her a mouse or a tuna?

im feeding her pinkies scented with tuna ^^ or dipped in tuna

Kimmie
02-28-14, 01:29 AM
I now laid a unscented one I will see if she eats it

Snakeguy5
02-28-14, 09:52 PM
I now laid a unscented one I will see if she eats it

If she does not, just keep feeding her a scented mouse and every so often try unscented. She will take one eventually.

Kimmie
02-28-14, 11:26 PM
If she does not, just keep feeding her a scented mouse and every so often try unscented. She will take one eventually.

she left it I will do that thanks :)