PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Hognose

BagnaraSnakes16
01-27-14, 10:50 PM
So i really want to get into hognose snakes. my gf hates snakes and i think this would be a great starter because she actually finds these appealing to her eye. I was just curious as to why a snake that is compared to colubrids (or is considered one i dont really know), is so expensive? i mean i see albino morphs or anacondas priced way higher than some green tree pythons....dont take offense to this for those of you who breed them....i was just curious as to why they are so expensive when they are a relatively easy to maintain and there are a lot of them around...someone educate me :)

poison123
01-27-14, 10:55 PM
Prices on morphs will go down as they become more common. You can get a normal western for about $50-$100. Morphs are over rated imo. Nothing cooloer then a wild type in my eyes. :D

Producing new mutations in reptiles is a big thing to most so the price is high.

BagnaraSnakes16
01-27-14, 10:59 PM
Prices on morphs will go down as they become more common. You can get a normal western for about $50-$100. Morphs are over rated imo. Nothing cooloer then a wild type in my eyes. :D

Producing new mutations in reptiles is a big thing to most so the price is high.

i agree the normals are nice indeed. i just have a thing for those anacondas and then i looked up pricing and shut my laptop lol

Snakeguy5
01-28-14, 08:25 PM
As long as you have some prior experience with snakes I think hogs are great!
Yes, hognoses are colubrids.
The prices have to do with supply and demand. Western hogs are very high in demand right now. Normals are in the $50-$100 right now, but eventually as more are produced and more new desirable morphs come out they will go the way of the normal corn snake and ball python and be very cheap.
Anacondas are a co-dominate morph so their value decreases each year as more and more are produced. This year normal condas will probably be around $400.
A lot of new/rare morphs are priced high because the seller knows that that snake is very high in demand and can probably get whatever amount they ask for it.