PDA

View Full Version : Monitor books

Jezabel
02-08-03, 07:25 AM
Exept for Australian Goannas and Monitor Lizards: Natural history, biology & husbandry, is there some other good books about monitor?

I've got some of the cheap one like popular monitor and tegu and the one from the barron and, well, I got what I paid for. The last one I got is Living dragons A natural history of the worlds monitor lizards and I'm very disapointed. I thought it would be better. They don't even say a word about my 2 favorite kind of monitor, peach throat and black tree! Still, the pics are great but some are not identified correctly...

Anyone got good sugestions?

asphyxia
02-08-03, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I am surprised you havent heard, but a regular contributar (Ravi) to this sight has just relaesd a book on the Sav. monitor.
available online here in the "Store".

I am getting my copy at the show so i am unable to give a review at this time.

Good luck

Brian

markb
02-08-03, 06:55 PM
Hello,

I have some 4,500 + papers, articles on Varanus, and I will say perhaps 90, no more than that even have informations on jobiensis and beccarii species.

I am currently writing an in-depth article on prasinus group, which I hope will answer some of your questions regarding the tree monitors; I have written 2-3 article in past years on jobiensis, 1 recently I think? (My memory is shot about alot of things now)....
so don't get discouraged.

as for books, the recent Savannah book by Bennett and Ravi is EXCELLENT, whether you have them or not - it explains alot how they live, which helps when looking at Varanus as a group, but especially if your interested in African Varanids, like I am, its a GREAT Little Book, and long overdue! Also price is good.

For Pacific monitors, your only real source right now is Daniel Bennett's monitor lizards book, Chimeira edition, 1998.

Good Luck,
mark bayless

asphyxia
02-08-03, 07:26 PM
Hey Mark,

Good stuff , I am also looking for monitor info, as I am getting a white throat on th 9th. Is there any way of reading some of your papers.

Best regards
Brian