PDA

View Full Version : How do non-specialized snake go about digesting eggs?

CosmicOwl
12-08-13, 02:46 AM
I know that certain snakes have evolved to feed exclusively on eggs. However, there are snakes that opportunistically feed on eggs and probably don't have these adaptations. The egg eating snakes extract the contents of the egg and regurgitate the shells. I'm curious about how other snakes deal with this.

Starbuck
12-08-13, 06:48 AM
I don't know the details, but last year I fed each of my kingsnakes a european sparrow egg (you can youtube 'nyx eats an egg') and they had much of the same behaviora, rocking back and forth when the egg was about 2 inches down until it cracked, and then they swallowed the whole thing.
I never found a rwguegitated shell in either of their enclosures, and they both pooped normally afterwards.

CosmicOwl
12-08-13, 12:24 PM
I don't know the details, but last year I fed each of my kingsnakes a european sparrow egg (you can youtube 'nyx eats an egg') and they had much of the same behaviora, rocking back and forth when the egg was about 2 inches down until it cracked, and then they swallowed the whole thing.
I never found a rwguegitated shell in either of their enclosures, and they both pooped normally afterwards.

Cool. This is something I want to try when rat snake eventually gets big enough.

TheZoo
12-15-13, 07:11 PM
did you have to sent them at all id like to try it but idk if theyed budge?