PDA

View Full Version : plexi-glass problems

Them and Us
02-07-03, 04:10 PM
so i told you all how it got free plexi from someone a whileago so i finally went an got it cut and drilled the holesand got the doors put on my new enclosures. so what do you think happened? the protective paper covering will not come off. I've tried everything. hot water, cold water, lighter fluid , isoprpyl alcohol. i knew free was too go to be true haha. oh well. i guess the pieces can be used to put puzzles together on. looklike I'llbebuying new and good plexi on monday or tuesday. hopefully i will then be able to finish everything.

asphyxia
02-07-03, 04:46 PM
Hmm, interesting what does happen, is it like a roll of tape after a dog bites it, or like you can't lift it off? , or cant find where to start or what

Brian

Them and Us
02-07-03, 04:54 PM
it just won't come off. i think it was set in a place of excess heat or something because the the paper feels like it was cemented to the plexi. if it was just glue it wouldn't be a probem because glue comes off with any nuber of things but its the paper stuck to the glue that makes it so difficult. I'm to spend a few more hours trying to peel it off centimeter by centimeter but i think it would just be o much easier to buy it. i had planned on finishing up the enclosures this weekend and moving my Grey Rat into one and then prepare the other one for a yet acquired beauty.

honduranfreekk
02-07-03, 05:08 PM
Try a hair dryer :) :)

asphyxia
02-07-03, 05:14 PM
Try a blow torch, no really what do you have to loose LOL

Sorry your having a hard time...I use glass, does not scratch

Edwin
02-07-03, 05:32 PM
Have you tried goo-gone? they have it at walmart and canadian tire. I use it to remove price tags, manufacturer's stickers etc. and it is really handy. I believe a bottle costs around $3-4.

Tim_Cranwill
02-07-03, 05:43 PM
I had to deal with that exact situation where is used to work. Here's what worked for me...

1. Find someone with a heat gun, worst case use a hair dryer.
2. Heat up the paper in small sections.
3. Use a metal puddy knife or whatever to scrape the stuff off.
4. Be patient;)

It might not look like brand new, but you never know...

Them and Us
02-07-03, 05:44 PM
yeah i work at a pharmacy and we carry it and i was thinking of that as well. but it snowed today so no trips to the store. I'll try a hair dryer thanks Kahane. and if that doesn't work i guess I'll pick up som goo gone.

a blowtorch ha! thats rediculous....we're out of propane.

joshbp
02-07-03, 08:09 PM
just a couple of ideas: acetone sometimes works as a solvent when others don't... also, did you try pouring boiling water on it?

good luck...

josh

jakejeff
02-07-03, 11:47 PM
Goo gone should work

Them and Us
02-08-03, 12:46 AM
thanks everyone for the help. the paper is all off finally now i just need to get the glue residue off but that will be easier. yeah Cranwill i found our old heat gun and don't you know it didn't work ha. basically i just kept up the hotwater and had a friend help me and us the hair dryer. oo gone for tomorrow so i can ge tthe residue off.thanks again everyone.

Boid_22
02-08-03, 09:59 PM
The rest should come off with WD40
and it's cheaper then goo gone i you already have it. Sspray it on, Let it soak in for about 10 minutes then it should peel off pretty easily without scraping and scratching your plexi.

Hope it helps,,,,,,Ed