PDA

View Full Version : Update on Luka, RIP big man

Jnholan
11-06-13, 06:36 PM
Took Luka to the vet, his spine has actually solidified. The vet has no clue what caused it, has only seen 3 cases since '78. I attached his xrays, there is obviously nothing normal there. He gets puts down tomorrow, which happens to be my birthday :/

Mikoh4792
11-06-13, 06:42 PM
How long did you keep Luka for?

Sorry for your loss

Jnholan
11-06-13, 06:45 PM
Only a year,but I wish I had him from the beginning. He was a rescue, and when I got him he had a RI and was emaciated. He was my favorite of my snakes, so laid back and beautiful. At least he knew a year of good care with me, thats all that counts I guess.

thinkbig317
11-06-13, 07:05 PM
Total bummer!! So sorry for your loss!! :(

Zoo Nanny
11-06-13, 07:08 PM
I'm so sorry and you're right he had one very good year in your care.

erichillkeast
11-06-13, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss

SnoopySnake
11-06-13, 07:17 PM
Sorry for your loss :(

Lichjen
11-06-13, 07:33 PM
So sorry for your loss. Glad he had a good year in your care

swolek
11-06-13, 07:49 PM
I'm so sorry :(.

smy_749
11-06-13, 07:54 PM
Sorry bout that mate. Can I ask what exactly we are looking at in the pics? Reason I ask is they don't look the same, but neither looks normal...

sharthun
11-06-13, 07:57 PM
Sorry for your loss!

Jnholan
11-06-13, 07:59 PM
The pics are xrays of a side and top view of his spine where the bump was. At one point, it almost looks like the spine factured and set that way, possibly caused by the pressure of the spinal column solidifying. Today his tail went completely limp, which was probably caused by that pressure. We're not even really sure what exactly happened, seeing as it is so rare. The doc says it's almost like a disease that humans get where the bones pretty much meld together . All the bumps are solidified bone, and his spine is also extremely curved and kinked. Its extremely odd

Jnholan
11-06-13, 08:02 PM
It all happened very fast as well :/ thanks for everyone's kind words

Kera
11-06-13, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry :( That sucks that it had to be on your birthday. :(

alessia55
11-06-13, 09:15 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :( It is never easy to say good-bye. He had a very good year in your care.

MDT
11-06-13, 09:31 PM
The pics are xrays of a side and top view of his spine where the bump was. At one point, it almost looks like the spine factured and set that way, possibly caused by the pressure of the spinal column solidifying. Today his tail went completely limp, which was probably caused by that pressure. We're not even really sure what exactly happened, seeing as it is so rare. The doc says it's almost like a disease that humans get where the bones pretty much meld together . All the bumps are solidified bone, and his spine is also extremely curved and kinked. Its extremely odd

When I saw this radiograph, it reminded me exactly of that...in humans it's called ankylosing spondylitis. Sometimes it's referred to as Bamboo Spine. The vertebrae calcify over and fuse into a rigid structure...The images of your snake's spine look eerily similar to the human disease. I am sorry for the loss of your snake. That really is hard. As difficult as this is, do you know if your vet will send samples for analysis? It may shed light on the process for others...

Jnholan
11-06-13, 09:40 PM
We talked about it to the vet, as I did bring that up. Sadly, the amount of money it would cost to send samples and do more testing is a little too much for us right now. I recently went through an accident so that has been pretty finacially draining. I think he will be sharing the xrays with a few people and consulting them on it. Thanks for that info though, very interesting! Sadly not a lot of progress in researching this because it is so uncommon that most vets dont really consider it worthwhile to spend much time on :/

Pareeeee
11-06-13, 09:51 PM
I wonder if snakes can get what's called ankylosing spondylitis? Because that's what I immediately thought of when reading your post. My brother-in-law has it, it sucks.

Sorry for your loss. I had to have my Bearded Dragon, Auzzie, put down on Christmas Eve a couple years back, it's not fun. :/

CK SandBoas
11-06-13, 10:16 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss :(

bigsnakegirl785
11-06-13, 10:32 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. :( Good job on rescuing him, though. Even if he didn't live long in your care, he lived another year in good hands, and imo that's still a successful rescue.

Hotchkiss
11-06-13, 11:51 PM
NoooooOOOOooOOOooooo..... stahhhhpppp... I'm gunna cry

Jnholan
11-06-13, 11:53 PM
Sarcasm I'm assuming?

Hotchkiss
11-06-13, 11:56 PM
No... this is making me sad... I was gunna cry

formica
11-07-13, 02:20 AM
very sorry to hear that :( RIP Luka

re further testing - for such a rare condition, i'm sure there are scientists out there who would be interested in doing post mortem tests for themselves, that the vet can contact when the time comes

Sharlynn93
11-07-13, 12:31 PM
When I saw this radiograph, it reminded me exactly of that...in humans it's called ankylosing spondylitis. Sometimes it's referred to as Bamboo Spine. The vertebrae calcify over and fuse into a rigid structure...The images of your snake's spine look eerily similar to the human disease. I am sorry for the loss of your snake. That really is hard. As difficult as this is, do you know if your vet will send samples for analysis? It may shed light on the process for others...

i was about to type the same thing, MDT...my family has been tested as carriers for this disease, but luckily no one has suffered any major symptoms of it as yet...

EL Ziggy
11-07-13, 01:40 PM
I too am sorry for your loss. RIP Luka.

Hurrok
11-07-13, 01:48 PM
Oh my. I'm sorry for your loss. :( I guess he's in a better place with no pain. It' never easy to lose a pet of any sort, but I promise it will get easier! :)

Jnholan
11-07-13, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone! It's been difficult,but refraining from going in my snake room a lot has helped. I'm giving myself a little time,but I will start looking for another one soon. I can't handle walking in there and seeing his empty enclosure :/

sweatshirt
11-07-13, 06:29 PM
Awww, I'm sorry for your loss :(

Terranaut
11-07-13, 06:55 PM
Wow that sucks. Well like said above , at least you know you did both the right thing and the last year he was well taken care of. Kudos to you.

Snakesitter
11-08-13, 03:09 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like you did all you could do, and far more than most keepers would ever have the compassion to. The fact you also thought about trying to take a bit of his loss and turn it into a positive for other afflicted animals is a testament to your character. RIP Luka, you're going to a better place where the sun is always warm, the rats are always fresh, and you can again move as a snake should.

benja1
11-08-13, 03:33 PM
I am very sorry for your loss:(