PDA

View Full Version : Online vs Expo Prices?

Billman
10-04-13, 05:21 PM
Never been to a reptile expo/show before, and saw that there is one in MA towards the end of the month. Thought it would be neat to go. Conveniently enough, I am going to need to buy a thermostat, and other various reptile goods soon. Crickets and frozen mice also.

Would I have better luck waiting till the expo? Or just buy online?

I'm wondering if it will be like any of the firearms expos I've been to where prices are jacked way up, or if it will be the opposite and have some good deals.

-Bill

Starbuck
10-04-13, 05:49 PM
generally most stuff can be gotten extra cheap at expos, though most feeders will only sell in bulk (commonly units of 50). I can normally get adult mice for about 70c/mouse, maybe 30$ for 200 pinkies, a bit over a dollar/med rat? crix ive only seen sold in units of 500...

so if you have room to store that many feeders i would try to wait it out, and you wont have to pay shipping!
most dry goods (tank furniture, thermometers, lights etc) are around market price, but you can get really great prices if youre looking to add a scaly friend as well!

Aaron_S
10-04-13, 05:53 PM
Both options work.

A lot of companies will have ONLY online sales (they don't have overhead of brick and mortar) so you need to keep an eye on both.

At shows from my experience very little will be a screaming deal. You'll see one or two great deals but people aren't just going to take a lot less money because it's a show, you know? That's just silly.

The fact it's cash you might be able to not pay taxes (we pay a lot up here) and get a better deal. The best deals I've seen were all for dry goods, tanks in particular.

smy_749
10-04-13, 06:06 PM
Expos don't lower prices because usually someone sees something in person, and they just 'gotta have it' so they pay the stupid price tag. However at the end of a show, when people are ready to go home, and the vendors don't wanna pack stuff back up, you can get some good deals. The problem is, at the end of the expo alot of time what you want isn't there anymore.

Billman
10-04-13, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input!
Sounds like it will definitely be worth heading down there with a pocket of cash, Especially for some feeder mice/rats. The no shipping aspect is great!

As for dry goods. That's what I was hoping to hear. Around market price is what I was hoping for, by the sounds of it, it will be worth it just buying things there. I'm kind of bored of buying online, I like to touch/ hold things before I buy them, and take them home with me. Plus, Online seems to always be a little deceiving between what you actually order compared to what you expect no matter the amount of research, For better or worse.
Thanks guys! There's always prompt info on this forum!!

@smy_749- That's one thing that crossed my mind... I myself am guilty of the "gotta have it" part.. :p