PDA

View Full Version : burm on aquarium gravel?

atabata
02-03-03, 05:45 PM
hey, i was just wondering if i can keep my baby burm on large black aquarium gravel or if i should just stick to the paper towel

thanks, @abata>(

Dom
02-03-03, 05:58 PM
I honestly see no reason as too why u would put them on gravel . it holds no humidity, and will be hard to clean .. I personally would not ..

Just my thoughts though .. Also offers no hides ..

I see no advantage to it..

norman
02-03-03, 06:02 PM
id say stick to paper towels/newspaper. cleaning gravel would be ridiculously hard. yeah i agree with dom completely...i see no good points to it at all except for looks.

atabata
02-03-03, 07:05 PM
all righty then:p

andrea
02-03-03, 09:34 PM
my burm LOVES cypress mulch. we dont put as much in it as we used to or we would never see him. he would burrow and never come up but to eat, and not be used to seeing us walking by all the time. we keep it just enough that he can cover himself a bit but not burrow enough that we go "where is spike?"
seems the gravel would be hard on their tummies, but i am a mother hen, or hmmm, mother burm? lol

ReptiZone
02-04-03, 06:16 AM
listen I have.....seen it done before but it depends do you want to know if it is safe yes under the right cercomstances...Idont know if I got that right..lol.
meaning fecus will show good but urate wont and that will sink to the bottem of your cage because there is no absorbent the down fall is you don't know when it pees...on paper towel you can see exatly where so you can clean it up when you dont see it you dont know about it until you smell it. For the sake of argument lets say that it is a show snake the only time you interact is feeding and cage cleaning.....so you clean the cage then feed it then you go out that night and it pisses the next time your due back in the cage is in 5-7 days that is not verry sanatary.......BUT if you interact daily you will pick up on such things like oder it wont be as easy as grabing the paper towell and throwing it out no..no..no you have to remove all the gravel clean the cage bottem replace with new frech gravel let the soild ones soak in a bleach solution (1 part bleach 9 parts water)for 2 days...rinse let dry and if your lucky...youn may only have to do it all over again the next day but if you have nothing beter to at night like me for exampel...lol you get into the routine and it is kinda fun. and you can make things look prety cool.....BUT never forget the matenence if you ever caught your self saing OH....I'L DO IT TOMAROW stick with the paper towel if you want a nice display and you are doing it for the hobby you can work lots of nice displays with gravel

any way I hope this helps out:)

Chondro Python
(Marc Doiron)

Dom
02-04-03, 06:47 AM
Just a though .. even if u take all that time (wich i garantee will drive u nuts..) what about the humidity requirement the snake needs ..

I just don't get it . it has no advantages and its defenetly not a fish lol

Lisa
02-05-03, 01:45 PM
cypress mulch will give you the ease of cleaning, humidity requirements, and still look nice.

Jurliki
02-06-03, 01:22 PM
I think it's not a good idea, because it will take you a lot of time and work...

Jurliki

snakemann87
02-12-03, 07:29 PM
I'd recommend the paper towels for safety reasons, and you can mist the towels to get humidty, but if you must have gravel, you HAVE to feed in a seperate tank.