View Single Post
Old 10-04-13, 02:50 PM   #27
Chris72

Re: wants to move to states. questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
If possible, why not try a visit first. I realize that the cost of travel can be very expensive, but you would learn so much about the different states and what area you'd like to live in (or not) as well as housing costs, employment opportunities etc. I live in Georgia which I find to be a great place to live. Summers are hot, but bearable and winters are mild. Lots of different places to live from Savannah down on the coast to the mountains in North Georgia. Very few restrictions as far as pets go and the cost of living is very reasonable. All that said, I strongly think a visit to the states is in order long before you make a move. Just one man;s opinion.

Jim Smith
Yup,

That's a great idea. That visit should be a 6 or 8 month trip that includes finding work and getting a sense from settling in. My wife tried that in the US right out on Univ and came home after 9 months once she got a feel. (Texas)

On best places to live:
I'm sure every list is different, this is just the first one on a google search I did for best places to live in the world (or something like that)

> as usual various European cities.
> 3 Canadian cities
> 4 Australian cities

I would think long and hard about why you feel like you need to move away from Australia.

Living in North America will not feel the same as a US vacation and certainly not the way it is made out to be on US TV. (1/2 the Americans here have advised you to stay there....that should be enough to keep you there)