border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-18, 02:04 AM   #1
kazz

walking with snake on you

Do you guys walking with your snake on you ? For example to give a snake some real sun ? How do affects that walking on snakes ? Will snake stress ?

Last edited by kazz; 06-07-18 at 02:18 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-18, 04:51 AM   #2
ClockwerkBonnet

Re: walking with snake on you

Naw, I'd rather not bother. It isn't recommended that one takes her snake outside anyway.
Old 06-07-18, 05:03 AM   #3
ClockwerkBonnet

The only exception would be when the little serpent needs to go to the vet, in which case I'd place him in his portable cage.
Old 06-07-18, 06:31 AM   #4
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Only in the backyard. Too easy to attract negative attention.
Old 06-07-18, 07:52 AM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

As Andy said, only in my yard and for me even then in moderation. I was leery about taking them outside as young ones but I'm more open to the idea now that they're larger. Every animal deserves a little fresh air and sunshine.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-18, 10:10 AM   #6
kazz

EL Ziggy, but I live in high-rise building, I don't have backyard.
Andy_G,
Quote:
Only in the backyard. Too easy to attract negative attention.
I don't care what ppl think about me. I even think walking with snake helps spread reptiles as pets bc ppl come and start talking.
Old 06-07-18, 10:15 AM   #7
kazz

There are ppl who walking with very big snakes )
This guy is from China.

This girl is from China perhaps.

Last edited by kazz; 06-07-18 at 10:22 AM..
Old 06-07-18, 10:26 AM   #8
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Most snakes are not social animals and being exposed to the public is more stressful than beneficial for the animal.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-07-18, 10:58 AM   #9
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

It has nothing to do with what people think of you. If the snake out of nowhere decides to bite, then you have an issue with liability. Couple that with the fact that many people look at snakes negatively and don't expect to see them in public, then you can make that negative outlook worse. The key to education is using the proper setting or forum, where people come and expect to learn, not springing it on them in a park. As a keeper and a breeder, I want to improve laws for us, and risking a bite occurring with a stranger, or having an animal that many have a phobia about in public unexpectedly are negative attention. You're totally in your right to do what you want, and this wouldn't be the first time that you've disregarded my opinion, but I don't have to agree with what you do, and if you're walking around in public with your snake, I don't like that because it could make things harder for those who keep reptiles.
Old 06-07-18, 11:07 AM   #10
Jim Smith

The only reason I can think of why people take their snakes out in public like that is so that THEY can bring attention to THEMSELVES. It is most certainly not to benefit the snake. Just my opinion...
Old 06-07-18, 02:37 PM   #11
ClockwerkBonnet

Good grief! I can't believe what those people in the photos did. Hopefully their snakes didn't swim away without coming back.
Old 06-07-18, 04:29 PM   #12
kazz

Look. I live in a village. There are few people. If I go outside to give my snake a bit of sun I'd maybe met 5-10 ppl.

EL Ziggy,
Quote:
Most snakes are not social animals and being exposed to the public is more stressful than beneficial for the animal.
Don't it a matter of snakes habit ?

Andy_G,
Quote:
but I don't have to agree with what you do
I don't do anything yet.
Old 06-08-18, 03:58 AM   #13
craigafrechette

I think what Jim, Andy and Ziggy have said is all good advice...

That being said, I'll throw my two cents in: I take my snakes outside occasionally, for a few minutes, but we don't leave my yard which is on a quiet, one way road. I would LOVE to get some great climbing photos of my snakes, but I don't have a suitable tree in my yard, so it's not an option for me.
OP, you live in a high rise, so taking your snakes outside isn't an option for you.
Saying you don't care about what people think.of you is fine. I don't really care too much about what people think of me either. However, it's not about YOU in this situation, it's about the ANIMALS!!!!! Don't be so selfish. It also reflects negatively on our hobby, which already has enough scrutiny.

Sooooo...you cited a few examples of people walking around China with big snakes. Does that make it a good idea? Heck no. If a few people were stapling devil horns and shark fins to their snakes would you do that too??

Bottom line is this: there is NOTHING to gain by bringing your snakes in public. If you want to educate people on the reptile hobby, do it the right way. Until you have a private yard to bring your snakes it's best they stay inside, for them and for the reptile community. It's not just about you...
Old 06-08-18, 10:21 AM   #14
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post

Look. I live in a village. There are few people. If I go outside to give my snake a bit of sun I'd maybe met 5-10 ppl.

Andy_G,
I don't do anything yet.
-Why would living in a village or a city matter? It still has potential to create a negative outcome.

- I didn't mean just in regards to this topic. There are things you do that I don't agree with, and that's okay.
Old 06-08-18, 06:20 PM   #15
StevenL

I take mine outside quite a bit when it is warm in the privacy of my own back yard. No audience, no undue attention. My snakes enjoy the outdoors.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread