Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-15, 08:21 AM   #241
prairiepanda

Re: Snakes ARE affectionate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Any reptile biology book tells us what snakes brains are capable of. It's no secret how the reptile brain works and what those parts that make up the brain are capable of based on the evolution of all other animals on this planet.

ALL higher level thinking/reasoning, etc animals on this planet all have the same brain parts. Snakes DO NOT have these parts that have allowed evolution of higher thinking in other species. If reptiles would have evolved with those evolutionary traits...then this conversation may have merit. BUT, It doesn't or hasn't nor will it.

It's not rocket science people.

D
Yes, reptile brains are missing regions that birds and mammals have, which is pretty strong evidence considering that some of those regions are associated with emotion. But we cannot say that it is impossible to have emotion without these regions. There are also regions of the reptile brain that do not have homologs in humans and are not thoroughly understood, so it's possible(though unlikely) that reptiles have their own means of feeling emotion, including affection. No biology book I have read has made the claim to know every capability of the reptile brain, though we can make assumptions based on homologous structures in mammals. Also, we do not know how the function of the limbic territories varies between species(there is at least one paper on the topic which I do not have access to, so the answer might be out there). If other animals, especially birds, have other regions contributing to their affectionate and emotional responses then we would have reason to dismiss the absence of limbic territories in reptiles as evidence of lack of affection.

I'd like to point out that people without university library access can still carry out effective research. News articles, and even blog posts, can be referenced if they cite their sources. They tend to take the hard part out of understanding a paper as well. And you can check their sources by reading the abstracts to determine whether the research and conclusions drawn match what the blog describes, and also look up contributing authors to see what qualifies them to conduct such research and what other kinds of research they have published.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I do agree that you're probably right about reptiles not being capable of affection and I share that view. Any evidence to the contrary has thus far proven to be quite weak. I only wish to correct flaws in the structure of your argument.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)

Last edited by prairiepanda; 04-25-15 at 08:29 AM..
Old 04-25-15, 08:43 AM   #242
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

ANYTHING is possible no matter how infinitesimally small the probability. We may NEVER KNOW with absolute certainty a snake's propensity to feel or display LOVE as WE subjectively define it but the science so far overwhelmingly says snakes do not have that capability. Based on science, my personal experiences and observations, and the vast majority of keepers that I know, I'm going to stay in the snakes don't love camp. I still LOVE SNAKES and I hope my snakes "feel" or sense that they are safe and well cared for.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 04-25-15, 09:24 AM   #243
grapefruit

Damn, i just spent atleast an hour reading all these posts
Old 04-25-15, 09:48 AM   #244
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapefruit View Post
That's an hour of your life you will never get back. LOL
Old 04-25-15, 10:41 AM   #245
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapefruit View Post
i got to page 2,jumped to the last page,as i knew where it was all heading...

snakes run on instincts

not emotions

for the record my husbandry is spot on,and all other snake needs are met

cheers shaun
Old 04-25-15, 02:14 PM   #246
RAD House

It is amazing how many experts we have on here that know so much more than actual scientists. As prairie panda discovered the general consensus among the scientific community is that we have very little understanding about the snake brain. When I was in college 10 years ago for my organismal biology degree, I worked with a professor named Steven Mackessy. His focus was in venomous snakes. Even way back then they were questioning our understanding of the reptile brain. Trust me I understand "peer reviewed papers" just fine, and have read more in my four years in school than most read in a life time. I wish I could have gone into the biology field but unfortunately there was not enough money in it to pay off my school dept. I am not sure where most of you got your information but I can tell you most of what you are basing your opinions on is out dated by at least 20 years. Derek from your responses I put you some where around high school or below, and those text books are more often out dated by 30 years or more. Snakes being creatures of entirely instinct is equivalent to the all snakes being "poisonous" of the past. Functions of public perception not real science.

Last edited by RAD House; 04-25-15 at 02:34 PM..
Old 04-25-15, 02:54 PM   #247
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I think this thread has run it's course. It's now becoming circular and I really don't care for those who want to whip out their "I have a bigger science ***** than you do".

You're welcome to continue that in private messages.

If any of you have an issue please send me a message.
Closed Thread

Tags
affection, love, snakes are affectionate.