Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Field Herping

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-18, 03:27 AM   #16
craigafrechette

Re: Snake Identification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
It's okay, this is a common problem with text based media since there are no verbal or physical cues to interpret your meaning from. Misunderstandings happen.

To answer your question, my parents are the final say on this issue and they know very little about snakes. In fact, my mother is dreadfully fearful of snakes, so much to the point that the only snake I was able to get had to be approved by her so she would have no chance of mistaking it for a wild snake. We have a wide variety of snakes here, both non-venomous and venomous including varieties that are difficult to distinguish. I am the most educated person here about snakes and reptiles in general.

Therefore, it was not obvious in any way if this were a harmless animal at the time, and I could not give sufficient advice to support saving the snake. Not only is our property a Haven for snakes and other wildlife, but we also have animals and children to worry about. Sufficient to say, "better safe than sorry" was in effect.

I probably over explained and went off subject a tad there, but I didn't want to be misunderstood or mistaken to be being negative. I'm just trying to explain the situation.

Also,

Thank you all for your support and understanding! ^.=.^
Thank you for understanding and thanks for your reply.

That makes plenty of sense then, gotcha now! I was half expecting to hear it was some sort of animal control that was responsible, hence assuming they would be properly educated. I guess that's why I shouldn't assume, hahhahaha.

Anyway, I understand the situation now and can certainly agree with the better safe than sorry approach.

Would it be possible to hang a poster or something similar somewhere for quick reference? I've seen posters which have pictures of snakes native to certain areas, broken down into venomous and non-venomous. Maybe something like that may ease her mind a bit? Anyway, just a polite question as I'm not sure of any other backstory, details, etc...

I gotta say, your mom seems like a pretty cool cat to me. My parents (mainly my father) were 100% adamant that I wasn't bringing any snakes into the house as a kid. At least your mom allows you to keep one despite her fear. My girlfriend was afraid of snakes til just a few years ago. I showed her a few in pet stores and educated her a bit. Then she said I could have ONE. I now have four and the green light to add more when the time is right.

Again, thanks for understanding and answering my question.
Old 05-10-18, 06:21 PM   #17
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineDream View Post
At least you made an effort.

All too often people kill first and then ask later.

There was one sadist who burnt a tiny blind snake to death with a cigarette lighter, then asked if it was a venomous baby snake and where he would find the mother. It made me cry and I was uncharacteristically nasty to him. We're usually a pretty nice lot and if I can't be either encouraging or helpful I hold my tongue. But that time....

Hopefully you can convince your family that these guys are friends, not enemies. Snakes are amazing critters.
I quite agree, snakes are amazing things (as are reptiles in general). I love them! (There's a reason my favorite mythical creature is a dragon) but for the sake of remaining on topic, I won't go too much further on the subject as I am horrible about tangents.

I am very sorry to hear about that guy actively seeking to kill the snakes. It sounds like he didn't care if it were venomous. I'm the kind of person that hates ants but I'd never go out with a magnifying glass to burn them.

Out here, we do what we can to naturally deter snakes from the house and living area, such as keeping grash and weeds down, as well as placing moth balls around to keep prey away.

We do have what I believe is a yellow bellied water snake den under our house (under the foundation) and I don't know what to do about it. They often come out around the dog pen door and one of my dogs often hunts them. She's killed more than a few of those harmless critters. (Okay, I just talked about tangents, and I think of this, great going. I probably should make a new thread about that)

Anyway, back on topic, I do make an effort, and I'm glad even though a good snake died, you understand.
Old 05-10-18, 06:35 PM   #18
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Thank you for understanding and thanks for your reply.

That makes plenty of sense then, gotcha now! I was half expecting to hear it was some sort of animal control that was responsible, hence assuming they would be properly educated. I guess that's why I shouldn't assume, hahhahaha.

Anyway, I understand the situation now and can certainly agree with the better safe than sorry approach.

Would it be possible to hang a poster or something similar somewhere for quick reference? I've seen posters which have pictures of snakes native to certain areas, broken down into venomous and non-venomous. Maybe something like that may ease her mind a bit? Anyway, just a polite question as I'm not sure of any other backstory, details, etc...

I gotta say, your mom seems like a pretty cool cat to me. My parents (mainly my father) were 100% adamant that I wasn't bringing any snakes into the house as a kid. At least your mom allows you to keep one despite her fear. My girlfriend was afraid of snakes til just a few years ago. I showed her a few in pet stores and educated her a bit. Then she said I could have ONE. I now have four and the green light to add more when the time is right.

Again, thanks for understanding and answering my question.
I try to be chill, very few people manage to make me not chill so no problem dude.

Heh, yah, I'm not surprised you'd initially think that. The extent of animal control out here I know of is the exterminator (basically just for bugs and spiders and rats. Not snakes or anything else. The cats also help with rodent problems too) living in the middle of farm land and having 27 acres means we have to manage the wildlife ourselves most of the time, so... There's a shovel for venomous snakes, and guns for larger pests like opossums, armadillos, and so on.

I don't own the place, and my mom would likely find a poster tacky. Sorry. We do have access to the internet, but I'm usually having to ID snakes by memory.

Oh, my mom is awesome, but it did take a long time to warm her up to the idea. You just have to know how to work people Fortunately, my BF loves snakes too, and loves the idea of having them, so "when the time is right" will likely be when I'm financially stable, in my own place, and when I want a new beauty to marvel at and to love. (My ultimate goal is to get a Brazilian Rainbow Boa)

Again, no problem dude, however, this conversation seems to have surpassed the topic of this section, so I bid thee well, and proclaim this thread solved
Old 05-11-18, 04:16 AM   #19
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I try to be chill, very few people manage to make me not chill so no problem dude.

Heh, yah, I'm not surprised you'd initially think that. The extent of animal control out here I know of is the exterminator (basically just for bugs and spiders and rats. Not snakes or anything else. The cats also help with rodent problems too) living in the middle of farm land and having 27 acres means we have to manage the wildlife ourselves most of the time, so... There's a shovel for venomous snakes, and guns for larger pests like opossums, armadillos, and so on.

I don't own the place, and my mom would likely find a poster tacky. Sorry. We do have access to the internet, but I'm usually having to ID snakes by memory.

Oh, my mom is awesome, but it did take a long time to warm her up to the idea. You just have to know how to work people Fortunately, my BF loves snakes too, and loves the idea of having them, so "when the time is right" will likely be when I'm financially stable, in my own place, and when I want a new beauty to marvel at and to love. (My ultimate goal is to get a Brazilian Rainbow Boa)

Again, no problem dude, however, this conversation seems to have surpassed the topic of this section, so I bid thee well, and proclaim this thread solved
Sounds good. Take care
Closed Thread