sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-21, 11:22 PM   #1
fussy_hognose

Exclamation Trouble Giving Shots To Small Snake

Hello,
I have a smaller western Hognose snake that has an infection requiring 10 doses of antibiotics(1 daily for 10 days). I am currently on injection 6/10 and the 6 I've done have not been smooth.

The issue is that he squirms like crazy as soon as the needle goes in, making it very difficult to give a clean shot.

My foremost worry is that one of these injections will hit an organ if he wiggles wrong and the needle goes all the way in. He tends to back up as soon as it enters his skin. I've been following every given instruction by the vet (45 degree angle, between the scales, near the spine, front 3rd of the body, hold him between tips of fingers and hand, trying for 1/4 to 1/3 of the needle, etc...) and done hours of research only to find next to nothing.

Not only am I certainly causing him much more pain than is necessary, but it is maximizing the chances of lasting injury. I don't want to squeeze him so hard that he can't move at all, and I don't know the threshold for how firmly to press him to my hand, so I'm nervous about causing injury that way as well.

What can be done to minimize squirming? Is there any safe way to keep him still? Should I go at more of an angle to insure it stays in the muscle even if the entire needle goes in? If he does wiggle and I think it will cause the needle to go in further should I pull it out?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-03-21, 02:46 PM   #2
Herpin' Man

Re: Trouble Giving Shots To Small Snake

Sounds like you need a helper to hold the snake still for you.
Old 05-03-21, 10:26 PM   #3
chairman

Re: Trouble Giving Shots To Small Snake

A good way to make a snake slower is to temporarily lower the temperature of the cage to the lower end of the snake's temperature needs. I'm not sure how long it would take to slow the metabolism but it shouldn't take much time for a small snake.

For hognose, don't they play opossum when threatened? Is there a way to get it to play dead for a shot?
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, antibiotics, hognose, injection, shot