border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-20, 01:22 PM   #1
Loki’s_Child

Stressed out Corn Snake

So I just bought my first pet snake at an expo about 2 weeks ago. After a week of having him I started getting him used to handling. I use a snake hook to get him out of his enclosure. Then pick him off of it once he’s out. He usually calms down very quickly after been in my hands, but can’t stand the snake hook coming after him to scoop him up. He only really gets stressed when I initially take him out of his enclosure. Does this usually calm down as snakes get older?

He’s about 7 months old now. Any info would be much appreciated
Login to remove ads
Old 02-21-20, 06:40 PM   #2
dangernoodles

Re: Stressed out Corn Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki’s_Child View Post
So I just bought my first pet snake at an expo about 2 weeks ago. After a week of having him I started getting him used to handling. I use a snake hook to get him out of his enclosure. Then pick him off of it once he’s out. He usually calms down very quickly after been in my hands, but can’t stand the snake hook coming after him to scoop him up. He only really gets stressed when I initially take him out of his enclosure. Does this usually calm down as snakes get older?

He’s about 7 months old now. Any info would be much appreciated
If your snake feels calm in your hands, instead of using the snake hook to get him out of the enclosure I would just use your hands to pick him up. If you are not comfortable using your hands I would keep using the snake hook until he is used to it (make sure to use slow movements and be decisive), but I don't recommend doing so because there is a possibility it could never get used to it.
To pick up the snake I recommend following these steps.

From terrariumquest.com
Open the habitat and touch your snake gently on the back. This will help you avoid startling him if he’s sleeping (it is essentially impossible to tell if your snake is just sitting still or sleeping, as they lack eyelids).
Place your fingers under his body gently and lift him off the cage floor quickly and decisively. Don’t stare at him for 10 minutes trying to gather your nerve; that’ll only make him nervous. Just pick him up.
Once lifted, let your snake crawl freely around your hands and arms. Be sure to support him but avoid gripping his body tightly – that tends to make snakes feel threatened.
After about 5 to 10 minutes (or you are done examining him, if that was your reason for picking him up in the first place), gently return him to his habitat and close the enclosure.
Wash your hands with soap and warm water.

Oh, and when snakes mature they will likely become more docile.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-20, 01:41 PM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Stressed out Corn Snake

I mostly use the hook to rub my snakes and let them know there's no food coming before I handle them or do any cage maintenance. I may use the hook to bring them closer so I can grab the snake with my hand but I don't actually use it to remove them from their enclosures. I also don't handle new snakes until they've acclimated for a couple of weeks and eaten a few times. Your corn should settle down with a little more time.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Closed Thread

Tags
cornsnake care, handle help, handling, stressed