border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-18, 08:39 PM   #1
Serpento

Hungry Ball Python

Hello!
I recently had decided to upgrade the feeder mice for my ball python. Before that, she had been eating one adult mouse (frozen) once a week. This Saturday, I decided to give her two mice, since she had grown quite a bit and she looked the right size to eat two. Otherwise, the worst that would happen is that she'd just refuse the second mouse and that'd be it.
She was very happy to eat both mice- which, I should mention again, is double the meal size she's ever had before. Since it was such an upgrade, I gave her the rest of that day, Sunday, and most of Monday (today) without messing with her. However, I noticed today that she was almost out of water, and decided to fill it back up. Apparently, she noticed my fingers and struck at one!
I was pretty surprised at this, because she's never bitten anyone before. What I'm most surprised about though is that she shouldn't still be hungry, right? Judging by this 100% upgrade in meal size, it seems more likely that this was a strike out of aggression. But, she's never been the type to act aggressive, and her personality is usually remarkably docile.
Anyway, I was wondering what I should do now. Should I give her another mouse, since she still seems hungry? Should I just leave her be for a few more days, and see how she's doing? Or should I do something else? By the way, her temperatures are normal, and she's about 2-3 years old and bit over 2 feet long (last time I checked).
Thank you!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-18, 03:55 AM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Hungry Ball Python

What does she weigh?
What do the mice you're feeding weigh?

At that age she should be bigger. Has she been underfed until now?
Old 02-20-18, 08:07 AM   #3
Serpento

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
What does she weigh?
What do the mice you're feeding weigh?

At that age she should be bigger. Has she been underfed until now?
She weighs about 525 grams, and the mice are about 25 grams (although the mice do vary a little bit).
So far, I've been feeding her based pretty much on just eyeballing approximate meal sizes, based on the thickest part of her body and on the mice. As far as I know, the place I adopted her from wasn't underfeeding her. I hope I'm not underfeeding her, but, judging by other peoples' accounts of their ball pythons' weights at similar ages, she does seem very small. I don't want to overfeed her though, and she's seemed pleased with her meal sizes up until now. However, if you do have any tips on appropriate weights and meal sizes for her, I would definitely appreciate it.
Thanks for the help!
Old 02-20-18, 09:03 AM   #4
kazz

Pythons and boas can eat 30% max of their own weight while they are babies. When the grow they eat 20% prey max. My carpet can eat 30% prey easily. Now I gave to my carper 15-20% prey. She's fine.
When she was eat 30% prey she shed much often.
Old 02-20-18, 09:11 AM   #5
kazz

you can read this tread http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/food-...ze-weight.html
Old 02-20-18, 03:50 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Two adult mice for your BP should be a decent meal for a BP that size but if that's twice what she normally eats than you may want to increase her food intake going forward. At 500g my snakes are usually eating a small or medium rat or two jumbo mice per feeding. I'd also try to switch from mice to rats if your snake will eat them.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 02-20-18, 09:02 PM   #7
craigafrechette

Exactly what Ziggy said ^^^^
Old 02-22-18, 11:42 AM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Likely your snake struck at you because you may have startled it.
Old 02-22-18, 01:17 PM   #9
Albert Clark

Yep, try getting the python to take f/t rats if you can. Are you feeding live or f/t? Always remember that these animals may be captive but they still have wild instincts and when you reach into their space you have to be careful. We are warm blooded with normal body temps of 98.6F and that is something a python will sense right away.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, bite, feeding, feeding response