border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-16, 09:41 PM   #1
SavannahPolson

Any idea on what the strike speed is for a Burmese Python?

Yesterday I was handling one of my friend's Burmse pythons. She's 6-7 feet long. She's usually a very friendly and tolerant snake, she had need fed 2 days before, & had just washed my hands. The only thing on them was possibly blueberry & cherry smell from my smoothie. Anyways I was holding her when all of a sudden she just up and struck at my hand. She connected, but didn't constrict. I didn't jerk away & gently removed her teeth from my hand. I'm cleaning it well, hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. It's super sore now and not bruised a ton, it just hurts a lot more than I thought tiny pin pricks would. How strong is their bite force and how fast is their strike? Someone compared it to a boxer's jab or right hook. Is that true?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-16, 10:05 PM   #2
Albert Clark

Re: Any idea on what the strike speed is for a Burmese Python?

Wow! Are you sure you're ok? I don't have the numbers on either one but getting bit by one of the "giant" constrictors is absolutely no joke. You may want to consider having a doctor look at the bite. That's bc although you are cleaning it now and there is not a lot of bruising it may still wind up harboring a secondary infection down the road. It may require antibiotic therapy to heal appropriately. A doctor should know exactly what happened also bc he may want to treat you prophylactically based on the mechanism of injury.
Old 01-17-16, 10:24 PM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Super fast and really strong. If you aren't bruised then you're pretty lucky. Many times they leave nasty bruises.
Old 01-17-16, 10:49 PM   #4
Pogie

Sorry to hear about your bite. Those big snakes scare me, there I said it lol. Hope your ok.
Old 01-17-16, 10:50 PM   #5
SavannahPolson

My pinky, where the top front of the mouth connect is a little green, but that's all. The worst bite I've ever had is from a Moluccan cockatoo. Those bites are nasty. I thought my have was broken on that one. I have antibiotics from that bite, 3-4 months ago, I can start. The dr had said that was what he prescribed for animal bites. I've been bitten before, my adult corn over shot the mouse once, a couple kings, and a few milks as well. This is my first constrictor bite.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-16, 11:41 PM   #6
dannybgoode

Hope your hands heals quickly, I would fancy a nibble from a burmese!

Goes to show though you cannot even get complacent with snakes, especially the big ones and to think this one is only half grown! Well done for staying calm though, probably helped both you and the snake.

Also shows why you should always have a second person on hand when handling big snakes as you may have owned then for years but they can still be unpredictable and having someone there just in case is a must.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 01-18-16, 12:15 AM   #7
Nightflight99

Made a mistake, got kissed by a snake. At least that is how I tend to interpret any bites. Sometimes there are other stimuli at work that we may not notice at the time, and this can render even a generally calm and evenly-dispositioned animal a bit feisty. With most smaller constrictors, it is really more startling than painful. Usually you can clean the wound yourself, then apply an antibiotic and call it good. Somewhere in the 6-7 ft range, the bites can be hard enough that you might remember them, and bites by anything beyond 8-ft are definitely to be avoided at all costs.

One of my more memorable bites was by an adult green tree python that gave me a feeding bite to the hand, including full constriction. When I tried to gently get him off, he literally sunk his teeth into my skin all the way to his gums. It took a bit of persuasion to get him to release me. I also invented a few new words in the process. Good times.

Regarding the original question--there have been a few studies about the physiology of snake strikes, but I'm not aware of any study that has actually comparatively quantified the speed itself across different taxa.

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 01-18-16, 12:44 AM   #8
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflight99 View Post
... and bites by anything beyond 8-ft are definitely to be avoided at all costs.
An experienced keeper round these parts got bitten on the foot by a full grown retic. Severed all the tendons and he was in hospital for a few weeks.

They saved his foot but he'll never walk properly again.

It's why I don't think I'll ever own a giant. The idea appeals to me but the practicalities of caring for one just don't stack up. It's just too much snake for me to handle sadly.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 01-18-16, 10:35 AM   #9
SavannahPolson

I specifically chose a rainbow so she wouldn't get too big. There's a snake at work 10-12 foot burm who is so bad none of us even get him out without at least 2 other people around. There's also a 13-15 foot one who is pretty calm, but still, none of us handle him alone. The rest of them, 3 6-8 foot ones, are usually good, but we still have the knives & alcohol. Of course, no one likes to get the aggressive one out because he's extremely aggressive and cage possessive. The guys at work tell me not to even mess with him. As for getting a snake to let go and stop constricting if I were the only one in that room, my boss keeps a syringe of rubbing alcohol we can squirt into the snakes mouth to get it to let go as well as me carrying a large knife, just in case. I'm not sure exactly what was up with the snake, but I know that the girl and I were both shocked. She wasn't in shed either, that's what I wondered about at first. Some of guys she knows we're down stairs and they freaked out more than I did lol.
Old 01-18-16, 11:35 AM   #10
Nightflight99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahPolson View Post
As for getting a snake to let go and stop constricting if I were the only one in that room, my boss keeps a syringe of rubbing alcohol we can squirt into the snakes mouth to get it to let go as well as me carrying a large knife, just in case.
Yep, a small spray bottle with alcohol is perfect for that, and should be in every herp room that houses medium or large snakes.

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-18-16, 01:19 PM   #11
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
A doctor should know exactly what happened also bc he may want to treat you prophylactically based on the mechanism of injury.
Savannah..I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I am an ER doc, so take this info however you'd like. You will be bruised and pretty sore. Albert is correct about potential infection, however...prophylactic antibiotics are not indicated or recommended. There is no evidence that they are of any benefit. Just keep an eye on the wound. Keep it clean, watch for spreading redness (cellulitis)/red streaking (lymphangitis). Obviously, if you have a purulent discharge from a puncture site, get in to see your doc, you could have a retained foreign body (tooth) with infection. Otherwise, no worries. You just got beat up a bit.
Old 01-18-16, 01:56 PM   #12
SavannahPolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
Savannah..I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I am an ER doc, so take this info however you'd like. You will be bruised and pretty sore. Albert is correct about potential infection, however...prophylactic antibiotics are not indicated or recommended. There is no evidence that they are of any benefit. Just keep an eye on the wound. Keep it clean, watch for spreading redness (cellulitis)/red streaking (lymphangitis). Obviously, if you have a purulent discharge from a puncture site, get in to see your doc, you could have a retained foreign body (tooth) with infection. Otherwise, no worries. You just got beat up a bit.

Thank you, the bite marks themselves are scabbed over and it doesn't seem to be swollen. Some of the marks appear to be unevenly spaces, which I find strange, does the snake need braces lol? It appears to be healing fairly well, which I'm thankful for. I appreciate everyone's advice and replies.
Old 01-18-16, 02:23 PM   #13
Bandit

Glad to hear you're okay. I took my first bite by a large snake this past summer when a buddy had a 10 foot reticulated python out and she started causing trouble. He was completely restrained by her so I went to grab her head and she turned and got a hold of my hand. She didn't even get a complete bite, but it took a good 10 minutes to get her off. The pressure she was putting on me was incredible, and I thought she was going to break my hand(she did in fact chip the bone on my finger). My hand looked like I had punched a brick wall for the next few days and sure as hell felt like it too. I now have visible scars where some of her teeth were. Definitely nothing to mess with and I wouldn't want to imagine if she had just straight up struck and bit me.
Old 01-19-16, 06:30 AM   #14
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
I am a NYC and NYS Paramedic for thirty years and a Paramedic instructor. I never said anything about "prophylactic antibiotics". I said a doctor may want to treat you" prophylactically" period. I work with nurses and doctors and fellow paramedics and know that treatment modalities can differ. Prophylactically doesn't mean necessarily with a antibiotic regimen.
Old 01-19-16, 10:04 PM   #15
MDT

So, what did you mean by "treat prophylactically"?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
bite, bite force, speed, strike, strike speed