Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-15, 08:57 PM   #16
TheLastBaron

Re: Meet Lilou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtalis View Post
Feeding in a separate enclosure is just extra stress for the snake
I agree with this, although not everyone will. What I do to solve the problem is this: No interaction when feeding, I stay out of sight and quickly put in the mouse and hopefully the snake never sees me and I don't see him in the process. I hang back and make sure the feeding begins and then leave them alone.

When I approach the cage to handle a snake, I do it not when they are in their hides or balled up, I usually do it when they are stretched out. Fully open the tank and make my presence very known to them, not rooting them out from under a hide and making them feel threatened.

In this way I have learned that rat snakes at least, will get the gist of 'this is feed time' and 'this is not feed time', the kingsnakes I have had also seemed to take to this. The rest I have had were either so docile that it didn't matter, or so aggressive that I wasn't handling them. Hope that helps to give some alternative to a feeding tank.
Old 06-17-15, 10:11 PM   #17
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastBaron
I agree with this, although not everyone will.
Most people will. The separate feeding enclosure is unnecessary and an outdated myth. Snakes eat when there's food, they don't care where it is.
Old 06-17-15, 10:21 PM   #18
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiedufort View Post
Beware when you feed your woma.

Ferocious appetite, incredible strike. Separate feeding tank is advised. If you drop a mouse/rat in the enclosure, I doubt that you'll be able to get the snake out next time without risking a serious bite.

The woma is the type of snake that must be taught to differentiate between the usual habitat and the feeding grounds.

Otherwise, a wonderful snake that can be easily tamed.
Hook training. No need for a separate enclosure...
Old 06-18-15, 10:43 AM   #19
prairiepanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
Hook training. No need for a separate enclosure...
^^ This. ^^

I wouldn't want to have to transfer a woma from a feeding bin back to their home when they're still in feeding mode. Sure, feeding in the enclosure might get them all excited every time you open the door, but it doesn't take long to teach them that a boop on the nose means no food is coming. Even if they try to strike before you get a chance to tap them, you'll have the hook(or whatever implement you prefer) between you and the snake anyway.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 06-18-15, 10:46 AM   #20
SnoopySnake

Also, saying that feeding in the enclosure will make them associate the enclosure opening with feeding time, is the same as saying that feeding outside of the enclosure will make them think that every time they come out they're getting food.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-15, 02:56 PM   #21
sophiedufort

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
^^ This. ^^

I wouldn't want to have to transfer a woma from a feeding bin back to their home when they're still in feeding mode. Sure, feeding in the enclosure might get them all excited every time you open the door, but it doesn't take long to teach them that a boop on the nose means no food is coming. Even if they try to strike before you get a chance to tap them, you'll have the hook(or whatever implement you prefer) between you and the snake anyway.
My husband and I don't use a hook, or anything other than our hands, to get our snakes out. If they are awake, they will crawl on our hand as soon as they see it, as they are always happy to be taken out. We never got bit in the process of taking our snakes out, or holding them, so we never thought about using a hook. My husband was bit when he was trying to stop one of our snakes from sneaking into the window frame. He knew he shouldn't have, but did it anyway. Also, got nipped when taking Bozo, the banana ball python, out of the bag he'd been shipped in. Poor little guy was terrified from the trip. Never bit since, not once. And now Lilou, the woma, bit him and wrapped around his hand in a choking grip when she saw him drop the mice in the enclosure. She didn't mean to bite him, it was a feeding response, and she missed her target. So, all bites were triggered by something specific, no bite while just handling the snakes, or removing them from enclosures. Not even when they are shedding.
0.1 Bp (Zoey);0.2 BR boa (Casey, Ally);0.1 Dumeril's (Missy);1.0 Albino bp (Mojo);1.0 Banana bp (Bozo);1.0 het ghost CRT (Dante);0.1 Woma python (Lilou);0.1 Desert bp (Skye);1.0 Pewter bp (Spencer);0.1 Champagne bp (Dumdum);0.1 woma bp (Gracie);0.1 pastel woma bp (Pixie);1.0 Super Pastel bp (Chester);0.1 blood python (Athena);1.1 CA boa (Pepper,Bobbi)
Old 06-18-15, 05:48 PM   #22
prairiepanda

Oh, I don't use the hook for handling or maneuvering my snakes either. I just give them a tap to let them know it isn't feeding time. Only one of them really needs that reminder, though; I just do it with the others as a precaution for the sake of any repti-sitters I may require in the future. My snakes normally come out of their own accord, just like yours.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Closed Thread

Tags
woma, woma python