sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-16, 03:34 PM   #1
Tommynov1000

Ball python husbandry and breeding questions

Hello!

I have been researching owning and breeding ball pythons for about a year now, but have quite a number of outstanding questions. I plan to start with owning a male and female, both juveniles to start with. I've also posted this thread on another site, just in case that causes issues for whatever reason.

1) Is it better to own a tank that will eventually properly hold a full grown male/female to start with, or upgrade to larger sizes as they grow?
2) Are there such things as "auto-humidifiers" capable of accurately measuring humidity of the tank and regulating it? I don't mind misting the tank whatsoever, but I worry that I may mist too much or too little.
3) I've found multiple sources emphasizing minimum weights of both the male and female, but not so much age. Does age matter?
4) Does it matter if the male happens to be larger in terms of weight/length to the female, as long as the female has reached the general 1500g mark?
5) Is there a reliable source to describe snake genetics, especially for 3 and up gene snakes?
6) Reliable source for help determining snake morphs?
7) Is it okay to allow the female to incubate her eggs on her own until they hatch? If so, what are the risks?
8) Is it better to purchase a longer terrarium than a taller one? I understand most ball pythons don't really climb, but I haven't found many long tanks that are as voluminous as a taller one.

Thank you for all of your help, it is greatly appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-14-16, 10:07 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Ball python husbandry and breeding questions

1. I prefer the smaller enclosure and then upgrading. I find ball pythons in general do better in these. Some people suggest a large enclosure with lots of hiding spots.

2. To my knowledge no. I would check garden stores, you'd have to find a very specified garden store though. I do know of auto misters but not ones that measure humidity as well.
3. Yes age matters. You can have 2 snakes weigh the same but one younger and isn't interested in breeding. Males breed best at about 18+ months and females 3+ years.
4. No it doesn't. However you'll have a hard time finding many males bigger than females.
5. World of python is okay.
6. Same answer as above. You'll have to do some of your own research as no one is perfect and some aren't always correct on the site. The most reliable source is a good mentor who can help you ID morphs or point you in the right direction.
7. Yes it's fine. Risk is that you need to maintain proper conditions in the enclosure for her to do her job. You also have the risk of the female not eating until they hatch and may not go again the following year. Thats moreso a risk to your hobby only.
8. Longer is better if possible. You also don't need to go nuts with size.
Old 06-14-16, 12:26 PM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
1. I prefer the smaller enclosure and then upgrading. I find ball pythons in general do better in these. Some people suggest a large enclosure with lots of hiding spots.

2. To my knowledge no. I would check garden stores, you'd have to find a very specified garden store though. I do know of auto misters but not ones that measure humidity as well.
3. Yes age matters. You can have 2 snakes weigh the same but one younger and isn't interested in breeding. Males breed best at about 18+ months and females 3+ years.
4. No it doesn't. However you'll have a hard time finding many males bigger than females.
6. Same answer as above. You'll have to do some of your own research as no one is perfect and some aren't always correct on the site. The most reliable source is a good mentor who can help you ID morphs or point you in the right direction.
7. Yes it's fine. Risk is that you need to maintain proper conditions in the enclosure for her to do her job. You also have the risk of the female not eating until they hatch and may not go again the following year. Thats moreso a risk to your hobby only.
Aaron covered all of your questions nicely.
Old 06-14-16, 11:57 PM   #4
Tommynov1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post

Sweet, thank you very much!

For clarification, ball pythons basking spot is generally about 88-96 degrees, and I've found incubation temperatures about the same temperature, so will ball pythons most likely lay in this spot? If not, should I move the eggs to that spot, or keep them about halfway between hot and cold sides in the likelihood that the mother may wrap herself around them?

Further, should I remove the slugs at the very beginning or just leave her be?
Old 06-17-16, 02:50 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommynov1000 View Post
Sweet, thank you very much!

For clarification, ball pythons basking spot is generally about 88-96 degrees, and I've found incubation temperatures about the same temperature, so will ball pythons most likely lay in this spot? If not, should I move the eggs to that spot, or keep them about halfway between hot and cold sides in the likelihood that the mother may wrap herself around them?

Further, should I remove the slugs at the very beginning or just leave her be?
If you can remove the slugs without being bit then go for it. Hopefully they aren't attached to the good ones or else it might be a bit tricky.

Wherever she lays the eggs will be fine. You'll need to keep an eye on humidity as I believe that to be the most trouble for maternal incubation. I would hope she lays on the cool side and she will use her body to regulate temps easier than being on the hot side. I use bins on a rack system so if it were me then I would simply turn the bin around.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-23-16, 05:39 AM   #6
pitontheprowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommynov1000 View Post
Hello!

I have been researching owning and breeding ball pythons for about a year now, but have quite a number of outstanding questions. I plan to start with owning a male and female, both juveniles to start with. I've also posted this thread on another site, just in case that causes issues for whatever reason.

1) Is it better to own a tank that will eventually properly hold a full grown male/female to start with, or upgrade to larger sizes as they grow?
You are better of moving them to larger enclosures as they grow. They tend to start feeding and continue feeding in tighter spaces.
2) Are there such things as "auto-humidifiers" capable of accurately measuring humidity of the tank and regulating it? I don't mind misting the tank whatsoever, but I worry that I may mist too much or too little.
This is a great reason to use a rack system instead of FISH tanks. If you think you want to start breeding you will soon be out of space for tanks.
3) I've found multiple sources emphasizing minimum weights of both the male and female, but not so much age. Does age matter?
Usually a male can start breeding as soon as 6 to 8 months of age if he has some goo size and producing plugs. Females take about 2 to 3 years IF she decides to breed. This is why you will want to purchase your females first.
4) Does it matter if the male happens to be larger in terms of weight/length to the female, as long as the female has reached the general 1500g mark?
Males usually will not get over that weight. I have had a couple over 1500g but its not often.
5) Is there a reliable source to describe snake genetics, especially for 3 and up gene snakes?
6) Reliable source for help determining snake morphs?
5 and 6 are really the same question. World of Ball Python is the most used source BUT the problem is anyone can submit an animal an they don't get/give an description of what or why. They have a lot of special looking normal recently.
7) Is it okay to allow the female to incubate her eggs on her own until they hatch? If so, what are the risks?
You can but why would you want to control everything in their life and put in all this work to take that gamble?
8) Is it better to purchase a longer terrarium than a taller one? I understand most ball pythons don't really climb, but I haven't found many long tanks that are as voluminous as a taller one.
Again you will soon want/need racks.
So what are you wanting to start with and produce?
Old 06-23-16, 05:58 AM   #7
Albert Clark

Nice breakdown Pit! I like those responses.
Old 06-24-16, 09:41 AM   #8
Tommynov1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitontheprowl View Post
So what are you wanting to start with and produce?
Thanks for your reply!

I'm not really going into this expecting to become a breeder. I'm thinking of only trying it once, and then after the hatching see how I like it.Although, to be fair, it'll be quite a while before I'm able to move into a home where I can have pets. So, with that said, I am still considering the idea of become a breeder depending on how everything goes down.

I'd probably start with 2 females, and 1 male. Choosing a specific morph is going to be very difficult for me because they're all so friggin cool! Honestly, I would love to eventually breed for a dreamsicle, starting out with lavendar albino female, piebald male. I'm in love with all things pie, so I'd like to experiment with a candy, axanthic, pastel... too many to choose.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python help, breeding