border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-16, 11:58 PM   #16
Nightflight99

Re: Any idea on what the strike speed is for a Burmese Python?

Back on topic. There was a 1992 paper by Janoo and Gasc that analyzed the predatory strike of Vipera ammodytes using high speed cinematography. Obviously vipers are a completely different lineage than pythons, but it does provide some interesting data regarding what some snake lineages are capable of. Based on their results, V. ammodytes was capable of performing a complete strike in 0.33 seconds, and took only 0.0375 seconds to impact the prey item. This corresponds to 1.47 m/s or 5.29 km/h (3.29 mph). The authors also filmed missed strikes by a rhino viper (Bitis nasicornis) and a gaboon viper (B. gabonica), which were produced in 0.2 seconds and 0.42 seconds, respectively. The strike speed up until impact was 0.39 and 1.55 m/s, respectively, compared to 1.32 m/s in V. ammodytes.

Janoo and Gasc (1992) also mention data by Van Riper (1953, 1955) on rattlesnakes, which produced defensive strikes at 2.47 m/s, which corresponds to 8.89 km/h (5.52 mph).

The poor sampling and lack of repetitions don't really allow for general statements based on that study, but it does provide some interesting minimum values.

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 01-20-16, 05:50 AM   #17
MDT

When I start to geek out a bit, this is what gets me: When talking about the giants..how do they move that much mass that quickly? The action potential generated by their muscles shouldn't be any faster or slower than any other snake (fatter/bigger vs slender/smaller snake..actin and myosin are pretty much the same). So, I get the strike speed in vipers (relatively smaller), but a big burm? That is a lot of snake to get moving really fast. Once that mass is moving, the kinetic energy would be enormous. Pretty amazing, really...by the data you supplied Nightflight, I'm guessing you could reasonably assume a strike speed in the neighborhood of 3-9 mph. Taking that kind of mass from a resting state to that kind of accelerated state in that time frame just blows me away.
Old 01-20-16, 06:17 AM   #18
IW17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflight99 View Post
Yep, a small spray bottle with alcohol is perfect for that, and should be in every herp room that houses medium or large snakes.
This usually works. My water python however doesn't seem to know this rule lol. The only way she'll let go is to put her head under running water and slowly increase the temperature until she releases.
Old 01-20-16, 06:58 AM   #19
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
When I start to geek out a bit, this is what gets me: When talking about the giants..how do they move that much mass that quickly? The action potential generated by their muscles shouldn't be any faster or slower than any other snake (fatter/bigger vs slender/smaller snake..actin and myosin are pretty much the same). So, I get the strike speed in vipers (relatively smaller), but a big burm? That is a lot of snake to get moving really fast. Once that mass is moving, the kinetic energy would be enormous. Pretty amazing, really...by the data you supplied Nightflight, I'm guessing you could reasonably assume a strike speed in the neighborhood of 3-9 mph. Taking that kind of mass from a resting state to that kind of accelerated state in that time frame just blows me away.
And not only the strike speed but the fact that they seem to be able to coil and constrict in the same blink of an eye. A amount of muscle movement to coordinate very very quickly.

Fascinating to watch-from a reasonably safe distance of course!
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 01-20-16, 12:18 PM   #20
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
So, what did you mean by "treat prophylactically"?
Treat prophylactically can be a gamut of different approaches to any specific wound, illness and or disability including but not limited to aggressive cleansing , irrigation and debridement, administration of medications ie tetanus and or antibiotics. In wounds that are suspicious for possibly causing deep tissue damage and having the potential for infectious processes. In this case a snake bite from a "giant constictor"that not only can cause extensive soft tissue damage and even neuromuscular damage treating prophylactically can certainly come into use. The saliva of a snake has many enzymes, bacteria and cellular bodies that can be injurious to human tissue in the event of a bite wound. "Treating prophylactically" can include the administration of medications such as tetanus and antibiotics.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-20-16, 02:12 PM   #21
dave himself

Glad to hear that your OK and all ended well. I've been bitten and wrapped by our albino male Wilson which was totally my fault and not an experience I would wish to go through again.
Old 01-20-16, 02:52 PM   #22
Albert Clark

Wow Dave! Sorry to hear that. Hoping you heal up quickly. Best of luck.
Old 01-20-16, 03:06 PM   #23
dave himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Wow Dave! Sorry to hear that. Hoping you heal up quickly. Best of luck.
It was a while ago now, he hit me like an express train and ended up with most of my hand in his mouth. Thankfully there was no real damage done, my hand was cut and the bruising lasted for over a week or so. But it could have been a lot worse as I was alone at the time with no one else at home. Let me just add I wasn't breaking the golden rule of our house of never handling alone, I'd just opened the door of his viv to get his water bowl
Old 01-20-16, 04:35 PM   #24
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Treat prophylactically can be a gamut of different approaches to any specific wound, illness and or disability including but not limited to aggressive cleansing , irrigation and debridement, administration of medications ie tetanus and or antibiotics. In wounds that are suspicious for possibly causing deep tissue damage and having the potential for infectious processes. In this case a snake bite from a "giant constictor"that not only can cause extensive soft tissue damage and even neuromuscular damage treating prophylactically can certainly come into use. The saliva of a snake has many enzymes, bacteria and cellular bodies that can be injurious to human tissue in the event of a bite wound. "Treating prophylactically" can include the administration of medications such as tetanus and antibiotics.
Dude..no, it does not include giving antibiotics. There is no such thing as "just in case"...you either have a pathogenic bacteria causing infection that you treat with appropriate antibiotics, or you employ watchful waiting/surveillance which is what I described to Savannah. Any numb-nutz can give a Z-pack for "just in case". All that does is increase antibiotics resistance and possible give you a case of C. diff. Knowing when to treat appropriately is another story. As far as irrigation goes, what do you irrigate with Albert? I'm sure you're familiar with the studies that show tap water is equally efficacious as saline/sterile water and no higher incidence of infection rates, right? She could do that at home. If her tetanus was >10 yrs, she prob needs an update, if this was a wild caught snake, and tetanus was out of date >5 yrs, time for new one. What the heck does this even mean: "cellular bodies that can be injurious to human tissue in the event of a bite wound" C'mon man...if she didn't need sutures, she's moving all digits with appropriate feeling, and not showing signs of active infection, she can save her money and watch this thing at home.
Old 01-20-16, 05:13 PM   #25
Albert Clark

MDT, you asked me what I meant by "treat prophylactically" and I spelled it out for you. You are welcome to disagree with me but my information is posted. I don't agree with your position either. The name calling is not necessary. We have different standards of care and different indexes of suspicion as it relates to snake bites and that's fine. Moving right along., I am not here to try and win or lose a debate. It is what it is. Take care.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-29-16, 07:23 PM   #26
SavannahPolson

Alright guys, I'm all healed up. It has scarred, but that just makes for interesting stories right? No surprise that I scarred. That's what I get for being pale lol.
Closed Thread

Tags
bite, bite force, speed, strike, strike speed