border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-18, 06:57 PM   #1
ArcaneTB

Exclamation Any advice for my ball python?

Hi, I'm new here and I just got my first ball python today. I'm a little worried to see it constantly trying to escape the tank. It hasn't used its hide yet either. i use a reptitherm heat pad on the bottom. My problem with this is directly on the glass bottom above the pad, the temperature ranges from upper 80s to low 90s. however, once i put aspen inside, it's cooler on top of the substrate (low to mid 80s) while the direct glass is higher (still upper 80s lower 90s). If i put the thermostat up to heat the substrate, then the direct glass will be upper 90s close to 100 while the top of the substrate becomes upper 80s. I use a temperature gun to measure these. The cool side is around 77 or 78. I'm afraid I'm not giving my bp correct heating. Either the direct glass is good but the substrate is too cool or the substrate is good while the direct glass bottom is too hot. Could this be why it's constantly try to escape and won"t use the hide?

Any help is appreciated & sorry if it's too long. It's stressing but i want to get it right. Thanks in advance.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-07-18, 03:55 PM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Any advice for my ball python?

No need to stress, your new BP is acclimating and will relax.

As for your temp situation, you need to measure the glass, not the substrate when measuring hot spot temps. I shoot for 90 on the glass, keeping in mind thermometers, thermostats, etc...may be off a degree or three, so I tend to not want to go too high
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, ball python care, ball python help, ball python. heating, new ball python