border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-04, 08:54 AM   #1
jathoma

Question Now that's he's eating again....

Cain finally ate again after a 2 month hiatus (and before that had only eaten twice since November with almost 2 months in between successful feedings) and my question is this:

He's on medium sized rats (approx. 100gr each) and for his girth, these appear to be the right size (the large rats at my supplier just look TOO large for his size right now). He ate about a week ago and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try again now or wait a couple more days to make sure he's digested all of his last meal. I don't mind trying, but after all of the rats I've thrown away (weekly) in the past 7 months, I'm curious what others thoughts are....

(Just for comparison sake, I bought him at about this time last year - he was very young, maybe 18 inches - and now he's about 35 inches. At that time, he was eating every week, but he was also on mice for the first 7 weeks I had him, then I switched him to rats. Even then, he was eating weekly. I'm wondering if this is the time of year where he'll go back to a weekly feeding or if his last meal was just a fluke!)

Thoughts?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-19-04, 04:30 PM   #2
justinO

I say try and feed him when you can while he is eating. You never know if next time he goes off feed will be for 6-10 months! Generally I've heard, if the ball python eats, FEED IT!

Jessy
Old 07-20-04, 07:15 AM   #3
daver676

Send a message via MSN to daver676
I find that when I feed my bp a good size meal (just about the size your talking about, rat leaves a good lump), then she won't eat the next time I offer her food (7 days later). I usually wait two weeks after a huge meal to try again, but if I think she will eat a week after (if she's poking her head out of her hide), then I'll offer her some food.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn. We ****ed up!"
Closed Thread