border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-04, 03:05 PM   #1
Fierce Katana

Curious

What is the easiest boa/python to keep in captivity and if possible post a site with a care sheet or post one yourself.

thank you.
Old 06-16-04, 03:12 PM   #2
anacondaman

go to centralpets.com.... i think the easiset are red tails...kenyans, ball, spotties...the list goes on

adam

Breeding Next Year
1.1 Spilotes pullatus
1.1 Corallus hortulanus

looking into amazon bird eating snakes too!!!!!
Old 06-16-04, 03:20 PM   #3
Fierce Katana

ty
Old 06-16-04, 03:24 PM   #4
Fierce Katana

where is this list?
Old 06-16-04, 03:26 PM   #5
snakehunter

Its a figurative/proverbial list. Ther is no 'list', just that many species make good starters.
Old 06-16-04, 03:34 PM   #6
Fierce Katana

o ty
but wut do u guys think is the easiest?
Old 06-16-04, 03:35 PM   #7
mykee
Super Genius

A corn snake. But who cares what we say? Go out and find the snake that you like best, do some research on it, and if it suits your needs/wants, level of responsibility and maturity level, then you've made your choice.
Old 06-16-04, 03:46 PM   #8
Bartman

Send a message via ICQ to Bartman
I would say redtails if you can have the right size enclosure they need. My friend has two, they are great eaters, tame (almost all are, but you can always pick out a nasty guy) and they are very nice too!

Ball pythons are pretty easy too, but as most would agree, are extremely picky eaters...they can jsut randomly go on fast for months on end and it can get very frusterating!
Old 06-16-04, 06:27 PM   #9
BoidKeeper

What mykee said. No one has said it so well in a long time.
Good luck and have fun. If you come across something you don't understand let us know we'd love to help if we can.
Cheers,
Trevor
Old 06-16-04, 06:41 PM   #10
Fierce Katana

How big do redtails get and where can i get em after i do some research.
Old 06-17-04, 08:03 PM   #11
Linds
Former Moderator no longer active

There isn't necessarily an easiest type to keep, and some of them can be extremely variable within themselves. It is better to ask yourself some more specific questions about what you are looking for in a pet snake. Do you want something small or something large? Even though temperaments can be generally good in some animals, there is no guarantee... can you deal with a large, powerful, aggressive animal? Do you want something with substance or something more slender? Do you want something that is nice for display or do you mind not seeing it that much or at all?

Just about all snakes are easy to care for, it's just more or less a degree of how hardy they are. Some certainly cannot withstand mistakes as well as others. It shoudln't be about what is the easiest, it should be about what appeals to you. Of course it is always good to get something that is relatively hardy to start with, but that is a broad array of animals. If you get something that doesn't really strike you, you may lose interest in it which does nothing for both parties.

As for "redtails"...
Once you do a bit of research on this you will learn that there are two subspecies of boas that are referred to as this. Colombian boas (Bci, Boa constrictor imperator) are commonly called "Colombian Redtails" or "Redtails". This is the incorrect term for them and was only given to them a few decades agoi as a way for dealers to squeeze some extra $$ outta them. There cousins the "true redtails" (Bcc, Boa constrictor constrictor), such as Surinames and Guyanese, were typically nicer coloured and patterned than they were. Bcc are said to be more sensitive to care for as well as in temperament. Now I have never put their hardiness to the test so I really cannot comment on that, however they do tend to be a bit more insecure temperament-wise I find. Both Colombian Bci and Bcc finish up in the 6-8 foot range on average and although they don't tend to look so, are incredibly powerful animals.

Either way, good luck with your decision
Old 06-17-04, 08:35 PM   #12
BoidKeeper

Quote:
and some of them can be extremely variable within themselves.
Another grreat point. Just look at my male Bai of La mid baja Rosy Boa. Sure Rosy boas are calm, except no one told him that!
And all Hogs are small too right, no one told that to Peanut either. Good point Linds.
Cheers,
Trevor
Closed Thread