border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-21, 12:17 PM   #1
Blue Robin

MBK Feeding Advice

I have a 10 month old MBK and its very hard to find accurate feeding information. I had her checked out by the vet, but they didn't see many snakes and weren't particularly helpful. She is currently 67 grams and I feed her 1 pinky every 4 days. Is this too little? I've heard it's unhealthy to feed them too much but I don't want to overfeed either. Can anyone link me to an accurate feeding chart by weight or length?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-20-21, 08:28 AM   #2
chairman

Re: MBK Feeding Advice

Feed the snake 10% of its weight every 7 days. A 6.7 gram mouse will be a small adult mouse. You should have moved up from pinks to fuzzies a while ago but your snake should catch up growth-wise with more food.
Old 12-07-21, 05:36 PM   #3
Blue Robin

It's a little late, but thank you for your advice! I've been feeding her 10% (or sometimes a little more) by weight and she's now 176 grams! Is this a good weight for a MBK ~16 months old?

The other day I also noticed that a line of scales on her side sort of 'splits' into two. Is this part of the growing process? Will it go away, or is it just how her scales fit together?
Old 12-09-21, 10:45 AM   #4
chairman

Snakes all grow at different rates but a year old + colubrid eating adult mice is about right.

As for the scales, either that's just how the scales sit or the snake might need a little better access to a humid hide. If the scales are normal colored (not duller than others) and not flaking up on the edges then it is probably just how the snake's scales grew on her. The scales most likely to split are on the belly but it isn't unheard of to see aberrant scale patterns elsewhere.
Closed Thread