border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-19, 06:09 AM   #1
Maxillor

Feeding - amount of mice

Hi! I'm planning on getting a male subadult ribbon snake and I was wondering - how many mice (fuzzy mice) should I feed it per week?

I'd appreciate any help, for I'm a total beginner when it comes to snakes.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-27-19, 01:28 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Feeding - amount of mice

Welcome to the forum and best wishes Max. I usually feed one prey item per feeding but I don't keep that species of snake so I'd recommend finding a good care sheet to start with.

https://regalpet.com/pets/790-ribbon-snake
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-30-19, 10:46 AM   #3
Albert Clark

Re: Feeding - amount of mice

Ribbon snakes are a slender colubrid that is a non constrictor. They don't really do well feeding on any rodent with hair. Just really unnatural for them. They are primarily fish , worm, nightcrawler, and at best small or large pink mice feeders. Consider adding occasional powdered reptile vitamin supplementation for them. Reptivite or Repcal would be a good choice. Larger females may tolerate small hairless hoppers but that's the exception more than the rule. Sub adults and most ribbon and garter snakes do well on a varied diet and the fish used should be Sally's San Francisco Bay brand Silversides which are thiaminase free and readily available at Petco and Petsmart. Avoid bait store fish. Bait stores do carry nightcrawlers which are a safe food but also need reptile vitamin supplementation.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, feeding, ribbon snake