border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-15, 12:05 PM   #1
Arachnaeoccult

Too big for pinkies, too small for fuzzies. More pinkies?

Petco doesn't sell a size larger than pinkies. Instead they go right up to fuzzies which were much too big for my corn snake (judging by measurement she may be 6 months old give or take). I could see if PetSMART has a size higher than pinkies. Otherwise I'll have to buy a month supply of pinkies and feed them to her back to back (she'll eat back to back, as I've tried this with thawed lizards). I went through the hassle of catching the lizards myself with a butterfly net.
I'm certain she'll take pinkies because she attempted to take the fuzzy which was too big for her. Another is that I heard pinkies are actually full of nutrition for the snake which won't be provided by these lizards.

image sharing
Login to remove ads
Old 12-25-15, 12:17 PM   #2
Nightflight99

Re: Too big for pinkies, too small for fuzzies. More pinkies?

The single biggest reason not to feed lizards is the potential exposure to parasites and pesticides. I would call the local privately-owned pet stores to see if any of them have peach fuzzies, which sounds like it would be about the size the snake needs. Alternatively, there are plenty of frozen rodent vendors that will ship you any size you'd like, but you may have to purchase them in larger quantities to make it economically sensible.

Also, feeding two large pinkies per feeding will do the trick just as well. Peach fuzzies are obviously more nutritious than pinkies, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 12-25-15, 12:52 PM   #3
eminart

Are sure the size you tried was a fuzzy? That snake should be able to eat a fuzzy with no problem. And fuzzies are the next size up from pinkies. I mean, you can get "peach" fuzzies, but there really isn't that much difference.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 12-25-15, 01:18 PM   #4
Arachnaeoccult

I'll call and ask about peach fuzzies.

screen capture windows 7

This was a fuzzy that was too big for her. Unless she put it down and abandoned it for other reasons.

Freezing and than pouring near-boiling water over the lizard in a baggy should do away with most those parasites.
Old 12-25-15, 02:36 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

That fuzzy doesn't look too big imo. Did anything startle her? It looks like she latched on pretty good. Was your feeder completely thawed and served hot enough? I use a blow dryer and serve mine at about 100F. What are your temps like inside the enclosure?
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 12-25-15, 03:47 PM   #6
SSSSnakes

She can eat a fuzzy with no problem. Don't baby her.
Old 12-25-15, 04:01 PM   #7
Arachnaeoccult

Its possible that she was really anxious because I just took her from the wild. I also didn't put the water at sub-boiling, nor did I put it in a plastic baggy so the mouse was pretty wet.

I'll try another along with the pinkies I plan to buy. Theres 1 lizard in the freezer that can be used for scenting.
Old 12-25-15, 06:00 PM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Yeah I agree, that looks a good size for her. Baby corns take rather large meals in proportion to their girth.

What she's eating looks like a peach fuzzy, actually.

Pouring boiling-hot water will cook your snake's food, do not pour boiling-hot water (or even nearly boiling) over your snake's food. Freezing it is plenty good enough to get rid of parasites.
Old 12-25-15, 06:22 PM   #9
Humble308

I find that rat snakes tend to be deceiving in girth. My gray rat is perhaps half the girth of your corn and he pounds down large pinks in seconds with not much to show for it once it's swallowed. Throw a fuzzy in there and turn of the lights and leave it alone. All the best!
Old 12-25-15, 08:09 PM   #10
Arachnaeoccult

Its hotter inside the room with no AC turned on through the day, and HUMID moreso than it is outside. This is like summer for her during winter. I think I startled her because it was her first day and I wanted to watch.

Speaking of 'babying her' I had to sort of cradle her and hold the thawed lizard close to her face to get her to snatch it the first time. The next 2 times were easier.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-26-15, 11:12 AM   #11
SerpentineDream

I agree that fuzzies should be no problem at that stage. However there are different sizes of pinkies (small, medium and large) so if you are really unsure you could either feed 2 smaller pinkies or a large one. Lizards are not ideal.

You want the mice warm but not hot, and very clean. Domesticated mice aren't as fastidious as wild mice and depending on the conditions they were raised in they might not smell great to your snake. Snakes will also reject mice that smell like decomp so make sure your mice are fresh with no signs of discoloration. Washing the mice will help remove cage stink. Never feed wild mice because they often have parasites and you never know what they've eaten, such as poison.

I tackle thawing and cleaning at the same time by filling an insulated mug with hot (not boiling) water. I drop the mouse in--no bag--and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes. Then I remove it with tongs, rinse it under hot running water to get off any residue and gently dry it with paper towels. It's OK if it's still slightly damp. FYI do not put a mouse in the microwave. Ever. They will explode.

Your snake may very well prefer to be left alone or at least given space to eat. I tried taking my first corn out to feed, putting her in a tub, offering the mice with tongs and she wouldn't eat. I tried making the mouse wiggle, tease feeding, etc. But when I simply left the mouse in her cage to discover, it worked. She waited until I left the room, and when I came back the mouse had vanished. All she wanted was space and privacy.

With regard to temperature, the room should be between 80 and 85 degrees, with 82 to 83 being optimal. If it's too cold or too hot that could be your problem. Do you have a thermometer / hygrometer in there to keep tabs on heat and humidity levels?
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake

Last edited by SerpentineDream; 12-26-15 at 11:20 AM..
Old 12-26-15, 05:06 PM   #12
Arachnaeoccult

I understand the possible need for privacy. I just thought the mouse would cool down in the process.

I want to buy her a thermostat for her tank. The humidity in here is likely in the mid to high eighties.
Old 12-26-15, 05:31 PM   #13
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

What are you using as a heat source? You'll want to get a thermostat ASAP. I think it's one of the most vital pieces of equipment when keeping snakes. A hygrometer and temp gun would be helpful too.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 12-26-15, 08:23 PM   #14
SerpentineDream

It's OK if the mouse cools off.

You want to shoot for humidity levels between 40 and 60%. It sounds really swampy in there.

Here's an excellent care sheet that will give you the skinny on corn snakes. https://cornsnake.net/index.php?opti...id=143&lang=en
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 12-27-15, 07:11 PM   #15
Arachnaeoccult

I'm using an under-the-tank heater however out of both hides she picks her cool side. My apartment is inherently muggy, I don't even notice it anymore but people who come in say its really humid. I should get a thermostat, for my house even... Its currently night time and cooling down.

I want to say its on the cool side of the 80s.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread